Land, what would you do?

shawnv

5 year old buck +
For those who are lucky enough to buy land what is your take....buy a much as you can together or buy separate areas to hunting different deer?

I ask because I may be looking to add to what I have in a year or two. There are two options, I could add on to what I have now although it would be mostly field that I would have to plant in trees or I could look to buy a small parcel somewhere else. I'm leaning towards option #2 even though I could protect a lot more deer at the home place, I'm just not sure doing so would give me much more for stand locations.

I have several different parcels. A couple 40's 50, and then some decent sized parcels.

This is really a good question!! If I had my choice I would probably prefer one nice sized parcel rather than multiple. That being said, I can always find spots to hunt with different winds and not overhunt stands with multiple parcels....so in a sense it is kind of a toss up?

I'm lazy - I want all of my stuff in one place. I don't have to move equipment or monitor multiple places. It has it's up-sides, as noted, but I want it all in one chunk if I can get it. Also - plantng a field in trees genrates awesome cover for decades until the trees need thinned.

Multiple properties = more diversity, etc but also problems X 2 plus moving equipment and you can only monitor trespass on one property at a time

One large property = scenery never changes, but adding more land to your existing creates more of a buffer between you and your neighbors and allows for more sanctuary development.

You could add to your existing land and look at guided hunts or leased land elsewhere for possible new challenge, etc

I have 2 large parcels now, excellent hunting on both but you can't hunt both at the same time ...

Way to many variables for a direct answer without more info, but We buy land when we get a good deal, no matter where it is. A mile away or 500 miles away. But we are buying for ROI 1st, Hunting 2nd. We hunt only a couple parcels we own in Missouri and lease land right next door in Missouri now. We lease the balance of our owned property out in Missouri because they are just to far away to hunt and enjoy the hunt without having some warm digs within walking distance. I am older and having a home to come back too during the day within minutes of the stand makes it so much more enjoyable than driving a long ways back and forth before sunup, during the day, or after sundown. But as NF said. You will get a lot of different bucks to choose from if you buy different parcels in the right areas.

If you are going to use the property for more than just hunting, maybe more of a recreational type of property, I would buy it together if possible. Good Luck!

Aquire one large property. If you do it right you should be able to have a spot to sit anytime. It stinks patrolling two places moving gear and equipment miles away.

I'd go with one also. Having multiples would be nice for different zones, but it also means more paperwork with taxes and any programs (SFIA, etc), as each parcel would need it's own plan. Then you also have infrastructure issues for each place (electric, water, access?). If they're all close to a central location you might not have problems like that, but I'm staying across the street from my land at my in-law's cabin and I'm ready to pitch a tent to get away from them. :eek:

Areas where it's all flat, or all hills, or generally one land form type would be boring to me. Being able to have some plot acreage and some hills and some swamp on my property keeps it interesting for me.

I think it boils down to buying the right parcel up front.

Another plus for the small diversified holdings is that you can sell off your bad neighbors when you find out you have a problem and you'd still have other land to use while seeking out the next place.

There's definitely pros and cons to both options.

trespass issues are the same. You pickup a contiguos 40 and potentially 3 new wires/ neighbors.

Actually you pick-up 4-wires ... the day you are not there the trespassers can exploit everything ...

If your gonna buy separate, look at the investment and lease for gun ... you can reserve for your bow hunting and then have folks who will monitor protect during gun ...

At the end of the day you gotta figure out who you are mentally ... can you sit in one property and not worry about the other? Or is every day in one a loss of relaxation because you are worried about the other ... sitting in a tree stand offers a lot of time to think ... ;)

I'm planning on 2 separate properties eventually just so I am hunting different deer and have more stand options. The second property will have to be a prime spot for a good price or I won't buy.

If it were me I would expand upon my current property unless the other small parcel was a real jewel. You can do allot of really neat things with a feild! I wish I had more feild at times

I'd have to say size matters here. I would rather have 1, 40 acre piece than 2 or 3 that total 40 acres. There are advantages to 2 seperate locations but all in all I'd rather have all in one location.

I am very lucky to have 2 parcels about 80 miles apart. Season structure is different in the two areas and one area currently has reasonable numbers of deer and a different area manager.

I feel you can become a better hunter and habitat manager when you hunt/work diverse properties.

I'd have to say size matters here. I would rather have 1, 40 acre piece than 2 or 3 that total 40 acres. There are advantages to 2 seperate locations but all in all I'd rather have all in one location.

In ecology this is known as the SLOSS debate...Single Large or Several Small. I'm with you. I would rather have a single larger parcel rather than several smaller ones of the same total acreage.

Well I already live on the property I own now and I know all the neighbors and trespassing is not an issue. The only issue is they don't pass on many bucks. With that said, I'm not sure how much I can improve the age class here by providing cover on another 30 acres and removing the person that would shoot any deer on that 30. I probably can make it so 1-2 less core area bucks are shot per season.

If I get something else it would be 20-30 acres in Buffalo County or a nearby river block area where the age class is already better.

I'd buy the attached piece and eliminate neighbors one at a time. It might be one bad neighbor right now but the next owner might bring 5 people in there to sit your fence line. Fill it with nwsg and conifers and create more habitat. Maybe you can save more than you think.

I'd buy the attached piece and eliminate neighbors one at a time. It might be one bad neighbor right now but the next owner might bring 5 people in there to sit your fence line. Fill it with nwsg and conifers and create more habitat. Maybe you can save more than you think.

X2 I think you would be surprised what NWSG's and trees would do for you! 30 acres is a big field!!!