Land Grabs in the US

buckvelvet

5 year old buck +
Scary stuff

One of those companies "Green Acres" approached me in NJ for 114 acres. Selling how great it would be for future generations...Bla, Bla, Bla. Nope!
Same reason I re payed the Government for all the CRP payments made to the prior owner and opted out when I bought my farm. Some of those CRP programs are nice but I don't trust the gubment.

Scary stuff

One of those companies "Green Acres" approached me in NJ for 114 acres. Selling how great it would be for future generations...Bla, Bla, Bla. Nope!
Same reason I re payed the Government for all the CRP payments made to the prior owner and opted out when I bought my farm. Some of those CRP programs are nice but I don't trust the gubment.
We're down to one final acre in CRP, a small waterway that was enrolled on a farm we bought 3 years ago. Then we'll be finished with CRP for good. Waterways will continue to be fixed and seeded at our own expense.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with my CRP ground, what issues do you guys have with that program? I'm planning on enrolling more land in the program in the future.

Locking anything in for a decade isn't perfect, but it is nice to get paid to improve habitat and even add food plots (depending on the specific CRP program).

The Rumble one is scary but is very true. People have no idea how many rights you are giving on your land with a conservation easement. With a WRP, the only real right you have is to walk on the property and enjoy the scenery or hunt. When you read the contract language, only rights expressed are given to the land owner, all other rights are reserved to the easement holder which is the Govt. To do anything, you had to get a permit from the NRCS. Our office and region was invaded by woke little eco activists who tried to find a way to deny or delay any permit request.

I've had good luck with my CRP ground, what issues do you guys have with that program? I'm planning on enrolling more land in the program in the future.

Locking anything in for a decade isn't perfect, but it is nice to get paid to improve habitat and even add food plots (depending on the specific CRP program).
Me specifically, I’m not selling my rights away on a square inch of my ground, especially to the government if I can help it. I will manage how I see fit without their involvement. Obviously I’m giving up money in exchange for that right though

Neighbors turned us in on a regular basis for noxious weeds just because he liked being a prick. He was farming a good 20 yards over the property line and didn’t appreciate losing his free rental acres.

The county never came out to verify there were weeds. They’d just send letters ordering us to correct it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me specifically, I’m not selling my rights away on a square inch of my ground, especially to the government if I can help it. I will manage how I see fit without their involvement. Obviously I’m giving up money in exchange for that right though
Do you lease out your tillable to local farmers instead or do you just ski making money off the cropland?

I’ve been much happier with getting the government crp checks than dealing with most of my farmer renters.

My friend who rented my place for a few years was great, but the rest of my farmer renters sucked. They bitched constantly, never pay on time and never lived up to the contracts they signed.

Neighbors turned us in on a regular basis for noxious weeds just because he liked being a prick. He was farming a good 20 yards over the property line and didn’t appreciate losing his free rental acres.

The county never came out to verify there were weeds. They’d just send letters ordering us to correct it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t think the county has ever been to my place to check on my crp even once. My crp visible from the road is the worst looking crp section on my property and I’ve never had any issues.

I’m sure if someone complains though it could be an issue, but I see multiple tree filled crp fields on my commute every day and there doesn’t seem to be any change there.

Odd how much it varies by area though.

Do you lease out your tillable to local farmers instead or do you just ski making money off the cropland?

I’ve been much happier with getting the government crp checks than dealing with most of my farmer renters.

My friend who rented my place for a few years was great, but the rest of my farmer renters sucked. They bitched constantly, never pay on time and never lived up to the contracts they signed.
Im not faulting you for entering into that agreement. I just don’t want anyone putting restrictions on what i can do to manage my property. If I want a foodplot or let and area go or whatever I don’t want to have to read my rules.

Yes I do cash rent for now. He’s a good guy. No contract and no issues. But I think this may be the last year as I have other plans for that ground.