Land buying questions

Well I don't know what to think on that one, that is some of my favorite country in the state. However what do you do with it is the question, most of the main chunk is very little tree cover. Are you planning to rent out the pasture or try to convert it to farming? I would imagine that is very poor farm country. It is still in the land of reasonable taxes at least.
Plan is to try and get alfalfa planted on whatever we can. It's super hilly on this piece so I'm not sure how that'll go. Looking at government programs for income as well. We're thinking the value will be buying low, turning it into a quality hunting piece then the dollars will be there for resale. Most the ground here is pasture, but the soil is a loam and judging by where an excavator took a scoop, there is a good amount of topsoil.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

For what's it's worth, I think you're looking at the opportunity through a realistic and objective lens.

I'm also considering adding some ground that's been clearcut with the intention of cleaning up the bottomground for rowcrop and replanting the high ground. The seller's asking price is way too high considering the current market, value of the tract, and significant rehabilitation that will be required. While it'd be great to add some ground I'm not nearly disillusioned enough to pay for an overpriced property with the knowledge that significant additional investment will be required.
Being objective is the key. I'm one that can't justify paying high for land when we've paid bottom prices by our place. There's something to taking a property at a blank slate and seeing what you can do with it. As long as there's reasoning behind why you feel the value is much less than asking, I feel the realtor will be more objective as well. Clearcut ground, to me, is scary. But it's an opportunity to get land at a lower dollar.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk