All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lab lab

westonwhitetail

5 year old buck +
Does anyone plant lab lab in their plots? Just curious if people have tried it and what their experience was. I'm in west central Wisconsin, not sure if it is used around here or not.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Tried including it in a spring mix I planted last year, but afraid I can't offer much insight... had hoped that deer would take a bit of time to gain a taste for sunflowers and soybeans I mixed the lab lab with... only took them about a week or two to gain the taste... and ALL was mowed flat to the ground.

I planted a BOB mix once with it in and it got devoured like bigbendmarine said so not much help. I can tell you they like it when it's young and short.

How big were the plots you planted?

I have a 2 acre plot, I wonder if it would be worth it to try them as a summer plot or do you think it'd need to be a bigger yet?

I was thinking doing a sogrham, lab lab, cowpeas mix

Could a guy add something a little less desirable like buckwheat so hopefully everything wouldn't be wiped out right away

I was thinking doing a sogrham, lab lab, cowpeas mix

I have added soys and peas to my sorghum mix and had some make it through, I plant the soys knowing they are going to get wiped out and I don't plan on them for fall/winter food. I tried planting soys for a couple years and they just got wiped out because I didn't plant enough so I stopped planting them and saw my numbers of deer drop in the summer months so a couple years ago I went back to planting them in a sorghum mix knowing that they are going to get wiped out.

Thanks Scott, I may just have to try it and see. Maybe my deer wont knock em out right away...

I planted LabLab this year for the first time and the deer browsed it but by no means hammered them. I will keep planting it for the simple fact that we went 70 days without rain and you'd have never known looking at the plot.

Weston- keep in mind that Buckwheat grows really quick and can shade out other plants so if you add Buckwheat, go light.

I planted LabLab this year for the first time and the deer browsed it but by no means hammered them. I will keep planting it for the simple fact that we went 70 days without rain and you'd have never known looking at the plot.
That hasn't been an issue for me in my experience yet, we have pretty heavy soils and we use minimal tillage, but now that I say that...next year may be a different story

Weston- keep in mind that Buckwheat grows really quick and can shade out other plants so if you add Buckwheat, go light.
Thanks Bobin, I'll keep that in mind