KS Youth Season 2014

Brush Creek

5 year old buck +
Friday September 5 we picked up the 3 kids at school and hit the road for the next 7 hours. Our destination was a 2 bedroom mobile home and 300 acres of some of the funnest hunting property in the country. Confidence was high with decent temps being predicted.
Arrived at the mobile at 10pm, unpacked and hit the rack. The 2 kids who were hunting were out of bed quickly and ready to go.
My son(12) and I headed to the Triangle Plot and McLovin and his daughter(16) headed to a ladder stand on another piece of property. 58 degrees and the best starting temp in the 4 years we have been doing the youth hunt.
At 7:40 my son says, there is a deer. I thought he was joking because I couldn’t see it. But then it moves in the field and he gets into position and I get him the .243. The doe stops broadside at 25 yards and I am waiting for the shot. Nothing. She starts heading in front of us at about 20 yards. I bent down to get in line with him and burped her to a stop. The shot came shortly thereafter.
She ran 30 yards to the other side of the plot, stopped at the edge of the woods and backstepped and cartwheeled into the plot and it was over. We were both excited.

I asked him why he didn’t shoot when she stopped to feed and he said that I didn’t grunt at the deer to stop it. Too many hunting shows, I guess.

Now this story should go on for pages and include another doe and 2 really nice bucks, but they are kids and there were misses. Both kids now want to hunt more with their bows. The third kid says she is going to hunt next year.

We did have an hour or so of educational instruction on the finer points of 5 card draw and blackjack.

My son is only a Pee Wee this year in hockey so he can miss a weekend, so I am now planning our assault on the Kansas bucks in December.

Sorry to say this but making this post did seem very cumbersome.

rsz_ksyouthhunt2014_10[1].jpg KSYouthHunt2014 (13).JPG rsz_ksyouthhunt2014_3[1].jpg

Love to see the kids involved. Kudo's to you for taking them!

-John

Great!!!

My favorite season of the year.

Yep, I love taking the kids! Congrats on a great hunt!

It's great to take the kids, but that taste of success really get's them hooked so to speak. Some of my most memorable hunts are with my kids - deer harvested or not.

IS THAT A POP TART HE IS EATING?

Of course it is! Pop-tarts are a deer hunting staple (one of the deer hunting major food groups: Beer, red meat, carbs, caffeine, apple & pop-tarts). I prefer the frosted strawberry ones!!!

Of course it is! Pop-tarts are a deer hunting staple (one of the deer hunting major food groups: Beer, red meat, carbs, caffeine, apple & pop-tarts). I prefer the frosted strawberry ones!!!
Cinnamon and brown sugar, my favorite.