Killing autumn olive

Are they? AO is a non-native with great wildlife value which is why it was introduced in many areas. Sweet gum trees are native to the south east. You are probably on the ratty edge of the native area in Walton. They have minor browse value for deer. Most of the wildlife value is for insects. In its native range, sweet gum is in general balance with other native plants and doesn't really threaten them. Not true with AO. Because it is non-native, it does threaten native vegetation. (The bad or good of this is a value judgement and it depends on your perspective). While many folks wan to get rid of both, it is usually for different reasons. For AO, it is because of the threat to native species. For sweet gum, it is because it has low wildlife and economic value compared to other native species and competes well against them.

I don't blame you for despising sweet gum as some do AO. From my perspective, nature is always changing. New species will always be introduced in a new environment. Management is just a way to slow down the peaks and valleys, reducing impact on the species we care about, until nature finally absorbs the change and develops an new equilibrium....for the moment.

in the sense that sweet gums are a nemesis and a management problem as discussed in posts 1 through 17,

yes.....they are

bill

Reactions: Rit
I tried cut / treat stumps with Tordon, but felt like it wasted a lot of herbicide trying to hit all the 1/4" root sprouts and stuff. But definitely killed it. I went back to 10-15% triclopyr (garlon 4) in diesel fuel in 3 gal backpack sprayer, doing a basal bark application in late summer. Very effective, but hard to crawl in to reach the main center trunks. Several generic Triclopyrs are available much cheaper than the branded stuff. This mix and timing is also effective on ailanthus, but I need a higher concentration for paulownia.
Garlon 3 is water mixed, and for spraying on leaves.
I found some ideas on Youtube to make an extended spray wand for foliage. cut my plastic spray wand in half. Tape the control handle end to one end of my 20' aluminum pool accessory pole. Tape the nozzle end to the other end of my pool pole. Get some tubing to connect the 2 halves. Now I can spray way-hey-hey up there. It goes even better powered by the backpack sprayer with one wife pumping and the other one working the long pole. But you'll probably need total safety clothing and respirator.