Kerr and chestnut crab source.

Tyler

5 year old buck +
Anyone know of a source for kerr and chestnut crabs that will ship?

Turkey creek may still have some Chestnut Crabs remaining...? Not sure.

Callaway too

I still had one kerr hanging last weekend. Still a lot of snow out in the woods.

Do they drop gradually? Starting when?

Maybe add centennial to the list. I'm looking for later dropping crabs to add to Dolgo and Whitney.

Maybe I just need to add some more enterprise and liberty.

Coons love Centennial. They cleaned my tree off early and broke branches yet never touched other trees. Dolgo and Whitney are early droppers. Kerr are gradual slow droppers.

Stuck looking for oct/Nov droppers

Did you get your kerr from cummins?

Anyone have experience with Morse nursery?

Anyone have experience with Morse nursery?
Yes many years ago and it was not the best. If you are buying a few crabs from them you probably will be fine

4th leaf Kerr B.118. Don't let them over crop like pictured here. While I was pruning last weekend it was evident this tree spent too much energy on this fruit than it did on growing wood and getting larger. I will let it do no more than 1 dozen apples this year.

8/22/2015
CameraZOOM-20150822122447374.jpg

11/21/2015
CameraZOOM-20151121133118879.jpg

Man those Kerr look pretty on that green leafed tree. I am sold out of all trees for this spring except maybe a tree or two out of the Sandbur "Dog Seies".

Matt why would you limit the apples. That's what crabs do...produce lots of apples. My Kerr is not large and puts out tons of apples every year. The only issue is that it doesn't provide a lot of scion wood lol

Matt why would you limit the apples. That's what crabs do...produce lots of apples. My Kerr is not large and puts out tons of apples every year. The only issue is that it doesn't provide a lot of scion wood lol

The tree is 7' tall and it's b118 roots. I don't want the tree to be 7' tall it's whole life, and runted out because it just puts out a ton of fruit . There has to be a balance. I want it to keep growing upward. I have poor soil so I want the tree to focus on growing more wood. Kerr is also an apple crab as you know, the fruit is pretty good size.

Ok but my goal is to produce fruit for deer or human no matter what size the tree... 4th leaf crabs should be producing lots of fruit and I think the tree will adjust to the conditions and give whatever growth it needs. I think your soil must be ok to produce that many apples lol. Good luck

Ok but my goal is to produce fruit for deer or human no matter what size the tree... 4th leaf crabs should be producing lots of fruit and I think the tree will adjust to the conditions and give whatever growth it needs. I think your soil must be ok to produce that many apples lol. Good luck

It's not that I don't want tons of apples, I do. I just thought my other trees looked a lot healthier. And the difference was in 2015 this tree spent it's energy on fruit.

If you have a healthy tree the fruit will come. Again for me it's a balancing act. This tree had 30+ apples this year, I think it would be just as rewarding if it did half that in addition to growing more than 8" on the leader. I won't let young trees (under 5) over fruit again.

If you're not too far north, Goldrush is a great late-hanger. Zone 3 and 4 probably won't ripen Goldrush as it needs more time - longer growing season - to ripen properly. My camp is on the border of zones 5 & 6 and Goldrush does well for us there. November and December dropper. Violi's Hanging crab from SLN is a good crab that hangs on for a while. Also from SLN is All-Winter-Hangover and Winter Wildlife crabs. They do great for us at camp !! Just a couple ideas that may work for you.

If you're not too far north, Goldrush is a great late-hanger. Zone 3 and 4 probably won't ripen Goldrush as it needs more time - longer growing season - to ripen properly. My camp is on the border of zones 5 & 6 and Goldrush does well for us there. November and December dropper. Violi's Hanging crab from SLN is a good crab that hangs on for a while. Also from SLN is All-Winter-Hangover and Winter Wildlife crabs. They do great for us at camp !! Just a couple ideas that may work for you.

I'm in zone 4b (Central Wisconsin) and have a Goldrush on B.118 rootstock along with other DR varieties ordered from Cummins. My question is it hardy enough to survive our harsh winters? I do realize that it may not fully ripen depending on the growing season.