Just Bought The Neighbor's 15 Acre Parcel

Great buy, Natty!!! Good luck with whatever you decide to do with the place. CBD oil mixed with deer chow pellets .......... laid-back, calm deer = easy pickins??? Pot food plot for deer ......... deer laying around munching Doritos with a bad case of the munchies??? 😁 😆

Seriously - that'll tie all your relatives' properties together without a "divider" as a wedge property. A nice continuum of land, IMO.

Great buy, Natty!!! Good luck with whatever you decide to do with the place. CBD oil mixed with deer chow pellets .......... laid-back, calm deer = easy pickins??? Pot food plot for deer ......... deer laying around munching Doritos with a bad case of the munchies??? 😁 😆

Seriously - that'll tie all your relatives' properties together without a "divider" as a wedge property. A nice continuum of land, IMO.

Thanks Bows. Yes, between my MIL's and my BIL's we own most of the frontage on the street now.

House exterior looks to be in decent shape. Even if you gut it inside dry storage is always nice to have, just sayin'.

Just rent it to some meth heads, they won’t care if there is interior walls, and if there was, you would have to gut it after you kicked them out anyhow 😉

House exterior looks to be in decent shape. Even if you gut it inside dry storage is always nice to have, just sayin'.

It is Ruffdude. It needs new shingles. I need to address that ASAP...even just with a good tarp job until the spring. And one wall of the foundation is heaving in...maybe as much as 2 or 3" out of plumb. I'll need to address that one for sure. The roof is trusses, so none of the walls inside are load bearing. When I begin to demo it should be fairly straightforward and I won't have to worry about which walls to knock down.

Congrats Natty. Very happy for you.

Put steel over the shingles very fast installation compared to shingling.

You probably still have load bearing walls towards the middle,Looks like it has alot of potential

Put steel over the shingles very fast installation compared to shingling.

I was thinking about that. I talked to a contractor friend I have about standing seam metal roofing and he just laughed. He said right now its about 3 to 4 times the cost of shingles. Plus I can do shingles myself so I save on the labor. Thought about raised ribbed over the old shingles...just not sure I know how to flash around chimneys and vent pipes myself.

You probably still have load bearing walls towards the middle,Looks like it has alot of potential

Yeah, you might be right. I'll have to check it out. They certainly make trusses that will span 50' for barns and garages, which just from peaking inside the attic I think that's what I see. This was an old bar and dance hall back in the 70's and 80's so I have a feeling it was all open. I'll have to have a good look and be sure before I begin the demo.

29 gauge 40 year painted steel is about $100 a square trim would add to cost but that’s hardly 3 times higher now if your talking about that heavy gauge steel roofing it maybe 3x higher but it’s a superior product also.

29 gauge 40 year painted steel is about $100 a square trim would add to cost but that’s hardly 3 times higher now if your talking about that heavy gauge steel roofing it maybe 3x higher but it’s a superior product also.

Yes...I just did a little research myself and it looks like metal is about 2x as expensive on average....installed, but lasts 3x as long. I'll have to look into it.

Thank you.

Congratulations!

What a diamond in the rough….your future plans with it sound awesome.
Perfect retirement project for you and your family to enjoy.

It is Ruffdude. It needs new shingles. I need to address that ASAP...even just with a good tarp job until the spring. And one wall of the foundation is heaving in...maybe as much as 2 or 3" out of plumb. I'll need to address that one for sure. The roof is trusses, so none of the walls inside are load bearing. When I begin to demo it should be fairly straightforward and I won't have to worry about which walls to knock down.
Wait until you straighten that basement wall out before you remodel. My sisters house had a block wall buckle and she had a company come in and fix it. Then the drywall on the ceiling and walls cracked, we think because someone had remodeled/rebuilt on the buckled wall and when they straightened it out it stretched it. That house was a disaster.

Steel over shingles I’ve used heavy weight felt paper between them and I’ve screwed 2x4 purlins over the top of the shingles with longer screws into the roof joists. It kind of depends on if the roof sheathing below the shingles was solid enough to hold steel screws or not. Either way it looks like you have a nice place to remodel and add to your habitat management plan.

Are the basement walls block or poured concrete?

Congratulations!

What a diamond in the rough….your future plans with it sound awesome.
Perfect retirement project for you and your family to enjoy.

Thanks H2OFowler.

Wait until you straighten that basement wall out before you remodel. My sisters house had a block wall buckle and she had a company come in and fix it. Then the drywall on the ceiling and walls cracked, we think because someone had remodeled/rebuilt on the buckled wall and when they straightened it out it stretched it. That house was a disaster.

Yes...exactly. The remodel is at least 5 years out. I just won't have time until I retire I think.