Jim Bastians Orange fleshed crab?

Bur - I remember you and I both spotted Wetonka on the GRIN site some months ago. You told me you thought it looked good for your area. I'm glad it's pushing leaves for you.

As a side note - we had some late frost and freezes at my camp, and some of the regular apples that had blossoms haven't set fruit. But the crabs are loaded with baby apples !!! Hyslop, Chestnut, Dolgo, Centennial, Trailman, and All-Winter-Hangover are gonna have a good year. Gotta love those crabs !! The one unaffected regular apple is Goldrush. Baby apples on those.

Just wanted to let you all know after some research i located 2 sources including Jim himself who are sending me scion of this variety next year. I will more than I need & I am willing to pay it forward here if ya'll want some. I can package it with Homestead Crab or any of the other varieties I have when it comes to be that time next year.

Thanks BV

I had a brief exchange with Jim Bastian over the weekend as I'm getting some scion from him. Here are his notes...

I found it near a farmhouse here in Plainfield NH. The tree is growing on it s own roots so it is either a seedling or a rootstock of some kind. It ripens in mid September here and all the Apples will fall from the tree by October. It's probably my favorite apple but it needs to be eaten right away because they don't keep at all. It is fast growing, large leaved and healthy, I bet it will be the first to give you apples from this year's grafts.

He also stated he is moving to Michigan this year to be closer to his kids so this is the last year he will have his backyard orchard and the this crab scion access. He'll be leaving at the wrong time of year to take the variety with him. Luckily I live in Michigan so I can always return the favor for him someday. He also noted how big the leaves are.

Attachments

• JBOFCR-cluster.jpg
    JBOFCR-cluster.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 48
  • JBOFCR-fruit.jpg
    JBOFCR-fruit.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 51
  • JBOFCR-leaf.jpg
    JBOFCR-leaf.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 45
Anyone have this variety floating around? Last few people I've talked to (including me) grafts have failed that we have tried from he sources we were able to obtain.

Anyone have this variety floating around? Last few people I've talked to (including me) grafts have failed that we have tried from he sources we were able to obtain.

Maybe have one slow grower in a poor location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe have one slow grower in a poor location.

I got another source just yesterday, like Stu said, let yours go Art!

I got scions from Jim B. 10 years or more ago. It's not a robust grower...slender, twiggy growth habit, and the fruits on mine don't color up like those shown earlier in this thread...look more like Hewes crab...yellow with a blushed cheek. Dense yellow flesh, very sweet...It's our favorite for eating out of hand, and will keep pretty well for a month or more in the fridge.

Discussing this on another board. Here are photos of mine, taken 8 July 2021. Looks similar tophotos Ive seen of Trailman, but scions came from Jim B. himself, and fruits he sent one time look more like these than pics posted earlier and elsewhere on the 'net.20210708_095652.jpg20210708_092346.jpg

Discussing this on another board. Here are photos of mine, taken 8 July 2021. Looks similar tophotos Ive seen of Trailman, but scions came from Jim B. himself, and fruits he sent one time look more like these than pics posted earlier and elsewhere on the 'net.View attachment 36456View attachment 36459
Those sure do look like Trailman. Do you have a Trailman tree to compare them to?

I have an older Trailman that is dropping and ripe, plus a Jim Bastians Orange flesh that is just starting to blush a bit. This is first fruit for that tree.

I got the scion from a second or third party source.

I have an older Trailman that is dropping and ripe, plus a Jim Bastians Orange flesh that is just starting to blush a bit. This is first fruit for that tree.

I got the scion from a second or third party source.

From NH.

I have never had Trailman here. BOC was ripe here in early July...friend in Maine just posted photos of Trailman ripening there.

Scion that resulted in this tree came from Jim Bastian many years ago, and he also sent me a box of fruit, that looked very much like mine...yellow with pink blush..
not the red striped fruit I'm seeing pictured elsewhere, pics supplied by Jim.
Guess I need to hit some of y'all up for scions of your Bastian and Trailman, graft them both here and see how they compare to mine.

Whatever it is, it's the best apple I'll eat all year!

Last edited:
e458f728adfc3a12b6e3944457e852ff.jpg

Trailman is in my hand. The tree has dropped about 1/2 of it’s fruit and a few are at watercore.

On the tree are what I have labeled as Bastians Orange Flesh. Not a one has dropped and they are tight to the tree.