Japanese Stiltgrass invasion!!! Help!!

Dave B

Buck Fawn
Certain patches of my woods are just infested with stiltgrass. Do controlled burns work to wipe it out or what is the easiest method?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

My forester says it pulls easily because of the shallow root system. Labor intensive though.

glyphosate will smoke it but may also smoke some young tree seedlings.

clethodim is a grass only herbicide it will also smoke it and not hurt any seedlings but it’s more expensive.

It's hard to get rid of once you've had it for a while. We have so much I won't even try.

It comes up from seed every year. If you have it in the seedbank, it will keep coming up for 3-5 years even if you eradicate everything growing this year. If you can keep it from going to seed each year, you can get rid of it. If you mow at the right time, you'll stop it from seeding. If you mow too early, it will still seed but on short stems.

A google search will find you lots of state and university info on managing it.

First off, I'd suggest that you invest in a backpack fogger/mister. You can get a good one for less than $350. This will allow you to spray herbicide up to 30 feet. Spray the badly infested areas with Pendulum Aquacap, a pre-emergent, in March. Follow up in May with clethodim, a grass-specific post-emergent. The trick with clethodim is to spray while the stiltgrass is small.

Last edited:
I also have Japanese stiltgrass like no tomorrow. I use oust XP, that works really well it is a pre-emergent but also works post-emergent it is not supposed to hurt any of your Woody type of plants. And it is cheap. If I remember right the pendulum aquacap is pre-emergent only. also my spray guy told me pendulum aquacap is the same thing as prowl just prowl is labeled for ag and is much cheaper