Japanese beetles

I looked out my window today and noticed two of my apple trees didn’t look right. In two days the little bastards ate half the leaves. There were none out two days ago. It is 95 degrees and I hit them with sevin powder hope the heat won’t cause a problem for the trees.

I was able to get everything sprayed over the weekend.
If only those evil little bastards would develope a taste for honey locust and poison ivy then they could at least serve a purpose.

I got home from the lake yesterday and there they were mostly on the birch trees but also on the apples and plum trees. Wind and rain last night, so I'll be hitting them tonight with Sevin.

I sprayed my orchard trees this weekend with 2oz/gallon of water of Sevin concentrate. I mixed a small bottle to apply to a "garden" my daughter has of sunflower, beans and peas as the beetles had attacked them. Sprayed on Saturday - beetles gone on Sunday!

Never having sprayed trees before I mixed up a batch about twice what I really needed......I had about 20 gallon of water and easily sprayed 6 mature semi-dwarf fruit trees, 6 6 foot chestnut trees and 6 2 foot crab apples. So if you have not done this before - I would plan on about 1/2 gallon of solution per mature semi-dwarf tree. I wasted a few bucks making too large a batch.....live and learn. I applied with my 3 point tractor sprayer (it has a hand wand "gun") which made things pretty easy. I tried to hit every leaf on the tree I could.

Is Imidan equal to Seven in regards to killing off Jap beetles? Or do I need to buy seven as well?

Ok appreciate it; I was following the directions on the bottle I promise, but I hate to use more than needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It appears that I'm using "sevin" with the newer ingredient as opposed to the previous Carbaryl. 4 oz/gallon for the new, 2 oz/gallon for the old.

Where can you find Liquid Seven?

Walmart, lowes agway tsc etc. I had to spray again today. They really like my enterprise

Walmart, lowes agway tsc etc. I had to spray again today. They really like my enterprise

They have completely destroyed my two young cherry trees for the second year in a row. I'm going to have to yank them and put in something they don't target so lethally.

Interesting that they seem to start generally at the very top of any tree and work their way down.

Glad I got down to my folks this weekend before the Jap beetles did any more damage. Went through 3 gal of Sevin this morning. A few trees looked pretty bad and the beetles were going after my August apples. Williams pride apples were covered with beetles.

By the time I got to spraying they were totally covering my crab apples, birch trees, honey crisp, plum and pear trees. I soaked the trees good with 2oz per gallon on Sevin liquid concentrate and there wasn't a one on the trees 2 days later. I did miss one crab and 2 plums in the back of the property and I found the little buggers there last night, hit them immediately with more spray.

[QUOTE="
Interesting that they seem to start generally at the very top of any tree and work their way down.[/QUOTE]

They pretty much eat only the tender, new leaves that are found - in greater numbers - at the end of the central leader and other limbs/branches (ends) higher in the tree. Any new flushes of leaves, on limbs lower in the tree, will likely sustain damage as well. In adddition, the beetles fly in for a landing and the top of the tree is probably easier to hit. Shake a limb with beetles on it and you'll see how erratic they fly when taking off or landing. Remember, they give off scent .... if your friends are in the top of the tree and your hot to link up with your friends (the equivalent of hustling in a bar) ... you figure it out! :-)

Is Imidan equal to Seven in regards to killing off Jap beetles? Or do I need to buy seven as well?
It shou.d kill jap beetles but I think the Sevin is way more effective for them and it sticks better to the leaves to give longer protection from those bas##$s. They really like plum trees 1 and cherry 2 peach 3 and then apple but they love all it seems but not so interested in pears

Well, that lasted about 1 month:emoji_rage: I sprayed the little buggers on the 3rd of July and within a day or two they were gone. Got home from the lake Sunday and went for a stroll around the property and them little bastards were back on my fruit trees. I hit them hard with Sevin again last night. Hopefully that is the last time I have to spray this year.

I tried the milky spore stuff last year and there seem to be less of them this year, but then the second wave came. I've heard it takes a couple years to develop a good population of spores, but we will see. The gophers and moles are tearing the place up, which makes me think I have a ton of grubs. Anyone tried grub X on these critters?

A month residual isn't bad for the casual sprayer (me). I know I went back 2 weeks after I had sprayed initially and saw some damage and a few of the little $h!t¥€@d$ around, but not enough to justify the trip up there just to spray (1.75 hours). I think every 3 weeks during the summer sounds about right in my situation.

Seeing all the dead bodies after spraying the first time was very oddly satisfying.

Well, that lasted about 1 month:emoji_rage: I sprayed the little buggers on the 3rd of July and within a day or two they were gone. Got home from the lake Sunday and went for a stroll around the property and them little bastards were back on my fruit trees. I hit them hard with Sevin again last night. Hopefully that is the last time I have to spray this year.

I tried the milky spore stuff last year and there seem to be less of them this year, but then the second wave came. I've heard it takes a couple years to develop a good population of spores, but we will see. The gophers and moles are tearing the place up, which makes me think I have a ton of grubs. Anyone tried grub X on these critters?

Killing the grubs will help with the mole population but not gophers. Moles feed on insects such as worms and grubs. Gophers (Pocket Gophers) feed on roots.

I had to spray again for beetles as well. They really like my enterprise and of course the rose bushes. They were thick on the roses but didn't last long when hit with sevin

Killing the grubs will help with the mole population but not gophers. Moles feed on insects such as worms and grubs. Gophers (Pocket Gophers) feed on roots.

Traps and gopher bait is all that works on pocket gophers. Some people gas’em.