Itasca Greenhouse Policy Changes

CrazyEd

5 year old buck +
I'm not sure if anyone still buys trees from Itasca Greenhouse but I recently became aware of a change in ownership as well as new policies while assembling an order - mind you I haven't ordered from them in probably 2-3 years because i've been putting so many fruit trees in the ground.

Discounts: Previously as long as you had 500 quantity you could mix and match species and get the 500+ qty break for all varieties. Now you only get a discount when you buy 500 of each species.

Containers: all trees are extracted from containers and shipped in bundles now. I personally liked having the container because you could keep trees watered in containers for months and plant whenever you had time. These are more like bare root trees now, where they should be planted upon receiving them. As a positive, I typically only buy size 4a and size 4. Previously i had to buy 3 full flats (600 trees) to get the price break for 500 trees. Now I can just buy 500 if that's what I want.

Payment: orders less than $500 requirement full payment at time of purchase.

Terms:
http://www.itascagreenhouse.com/page30.html

Yep, NCR, and I hope they continue to sell with the containers.

Unfortunately none of that sounds great. The ability to mix and match the same size trees to get to 500 was awesome. I have gone in on orders with friends and we are not all going to want the same thing. My desire to buy 500 Norway's after the hurting the deer put on them the last 2 winters is about 0.
I still have my containers as it didn't seem worth my time to ship them back last time. I do like the ability to water them in the container for several weeks.
Some of my spots are not really dry enough until June versus my regular April planting.

The old staff at Itasca could not have been any friendlier anytime I ever had to deal with them.

I liked to mix and match myself. It's also nice to have the containers for storage and transport. It can get hard planting them if they don't come straight from the styro foam containers. I'll have to check out NCR.

I tried to send my containers back and they said "forget it"

I've always had good experiences with NCR. Their website says you cant mix and match but every time i have ordered, they have given me the price break.

The prices have gone up since the last owners as well.

I don't like the changes. The thing that rubs me wrong with both places, I have told both of them that they get a bunch of free advertising on the habitat sites and both owners look at me like (what???) How do they not know that?

Unfortunately none of that sounds great. The ability to mix and match the same size trees to get to 500 was awesome. I have gone in on orders with friends and we are not all going to want the same thing. My desire to buy 500 Norway's after the hurting the deer put on them the last 2 winters is about 0.
I still have my containers as it didn't seem worth my time to ship them back last time. I do like the ability to water them in the container for several weeks.
Some of my spots are not really dry enough until June versus my regular April planting.

The old staff at Itasca could not have been any friendlier anytime I ever had to deal with them.

What did the deer do to your Norways? So far they have not messed with mine but I don't need any of those issues. I knew about the Itasca change of ownership and some of the changes. I did not know they weren't shipping in the containers, that is an issue. A big reason I went with the plugs was the flexibility in planting them and being able to keep them watered in the containers.

Stu--get the checkbook out!!

In all honesty, with some additional advertising, group discounts and interaction. That business could fly!!

Ton of hours though.

I've considered it, but then again I have no idea what the asking price is.

I do know my wife isn't moving to that location however. Beautiful spot for sure, just too remote for us.
If it's close to -26 each morning are you in a remote area of Siberia now ? :)

They do have a pretty spot
72 acres I think?

I'm placing an order with NCR. Basically Itasca wanted $227 shipped for 500 trees. NCR wants $200 for 600 trees shipped. What seems like the better deal?

Did you guys just buy them out of the Norway Spruces?