All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It might be fatal ...... big pear down with Fire Blight???????

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
Last year I had some blight appear on one of my bradford pear trees. I cut out the dead limbs as best as I could and sterilized the tools and burned the bad wood. But, as I inspected the tree today what I think to be fire blight appears to be on every lateral at some point. I am posting photos that show sample of the dead branches. Let me know what you think I should do. I have about 15 trees in this small orchard and my first question is should I just take this one out to help protect the others versus trying to see if this one makes it??????

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    474.5 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    506.6 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 40
I agree with the above guys. What was your purpose for planting the bradford to begin with? Lots of fire blight resistant pears to choose from, no sense in fighting a battle you dont need to fight.

Well first I made a mental mistake. The ornamental Bradford's are here at home. It is either a Leifer or Bartlett.

When I first started planting fruit trees those were alli could find locally. Now that I order barefoot online I have Harrow Sweet, Blake's Pride. Potomac. Red Clapps, Anjou, Forelle, Magness, and Red Bartlett at least. Some are slow to start but most doing really well.

Is it better to take one of the larger tractors and push it over so I can get roots and all out? I would like to plant anther tree there at some point. Does FB contaminate the soil?

Boy don't you hate to lose a fruit tree that you have 10 or more years into ........

Well that was down right scary!!!! With nearly all my laterals infected is there ANY BENEFIT to trying to cut the tree off at 4 feet from the ground and top work it?

I don't maybe there is one low lateral that is not infected that I can save until I can graft it nex year. I will have to look.

Well when the FB started last year or the year before, I did not know what it was. I know now! What did the critters do to your trees girdle them?

wow! Those trees had to be pretty good size. I am going to make sure all my 10 year plus trees have protection still in place.

For those of you who have been kind enough to respond would you try to keep a few feet of the trunk to graft next spring if there is a clean lateral down low to keep it alive? Or just take the entire tree out and plant a new one this fall.

Well I took everyone's advise and cut the pear tree this morning. I am attaching photos of the only branch that did not show signs of fire blight. If the tree survives this year, I will cut below the existing sprout and graft it next spring. I was in such a state of depression while cutting the darn tree that I made a huge mistake. I should have cut the tree a little higher on the trunk and then made a second clean cut. As it turn out, I peeled back part of the bark. Had I not peeled it back and cut higher, next year I could have cut the trunk off clean and grafted above the sprout in the photo and had a nurse limb. Then after the grafts took off, I could have eliminated the nurse limb. Oh well, we will see what happens next year. I did sterilize the saw and clean up all branches and leave and took them off the hill to burn as soon as they dry enough to burn.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    435 KB · Views: 12
Sorry man, that really sucks but at least you know more moving forward about disease resistance. :(

Well the good news is that many of my younger trees are producing for the first time this year and my mature trees are loaded. We had a really really cold spring last year and I had a heavy crop year the previous year, so last years apples were far and few between. I have my first peaches this year, but I don't think I have any pears that are going to produce. They seem to take longer to fruit than all of my apples and peaches. Heck, I have some third leaf apples on 111 rootstock that have apples this year.

It will be interesting to see what happens to that one remaining sprout on the pear tree.