Is Fleet Farm gonna go down the sh....

rocksnstumps

5 year old buck +
As mentioned in the BP Cabelas thread, FF is under new ownership as well. Well went in the store today and looks like they are bringing in more food and grocery store items. Not sure what they are giving up yet but if you want tampons, baby shampoo, or granola bars you're in luck. Did notice that their brand of dog food I get went up two bucks, thank you grrrr.

At least in the back you can still buy calf hutches and brand new hay wagon running gear if you are so inclined.....

I haven't been to my local store since the change... I'm scared to look. They were my favorite, I hope to keep it that way :(

Smart Move by FF. Changing from a mans store to include more women shoppers.

As mentioned in the BP Cabelas thread, FF is under new ownership as well. Well went in the store today and looks like they are bringing in more food and grocery store items. Not sure what they are giving up yet but if you want tampons, baby shampoo, or granola bars you're in luck. Did notice that their brand of dog food I get went up two bucks, thank you grrrr.

At least in the back you can still buy calf hutches and brand new hay wagon running gear if you are so inclined.....

Good or bad seems to be the way of the world anymore. Look at Menards half the time you see people in the checkout line with half a cart full of groceries. Ran into a guy there a couple of Sundays ago and asked him what project he was up to and he said, "Getting a gallon of milk." It is the closest store to his house that carried milk!

Yes I understand the money grab thing. Just not that happy they will become like so many other places when they used to be great for hunting, fishn, automotive stuff. To make room for all this stuff they have to cut back somewhere. They are still setting stuff up but its already way bigger than the Carhartt section, that just ain't right! Ok now you can get cold beer at FF, big deal I can already do that at every gas station in WI.

In auto section the oil is on sale now, yawn, now it's the same price as wallyworld when not on sale. I do hope they still keep fastener prices by the lb. Way better than hardware store prices for a handfull of bolts.

Just wait until the yuppies find out......

We used to have a "Big Blue" store and I called it "The man store" - it sounds like it is very much like your FF store....was. It went out of business. We now have local Tractor Supply and Rural King stores. They have good stuff, but man the yuppies just make me want to scream.

The "farm store" should have an application process. You either pass and can shop there or you fail and can get your stuff at Wal-mart!

We do a lot of business with FF (I work for Cargill) and the Mills family has employed long-time buyers and merchandisers who are truly "Farm and Fleet" people themselves who live in the exurbs and rural. With this ownership change, those employees will slowly but surely be replaced by big-city, MBA-minded buyers and merchandisers who will certainly do great by the shareholders but the aura of the company is on a glidepath to major change, this is the way it goes...

I have a FF 4 miles from my house, and also one right on the way to the farm. Sometimes if I'm really stressed, I just go there and walk the aisles for 40 minutes and I feel like a new man - will have to find a new form a cheap therapy! :)

I always swing through the mil-surp aisles at Fleet Farm when I am there. Rarely do I find anything, especially in my common size 34. On a recent trip a few weeks ago, I saw they had more mil-surp pants in. Wool, and my size. Nice.

Then I see a little sign on the bottom shelf, 50% off lowest clearance price... Paid $2.50-$3 a pair! Bought everything they had in my size (grey are German wool, green are moleskin cotton cargos)
20161004_214936_zpsejjfyk63.jpg

I asked someone (a manager) if they had more in back, and turns out they are getting rid of mil-surp and what's out is it. Also getting rid of home electronics and consolidating other sections....and that they were bringing in groceries. I literally said "What the Hell?" And she responded " Well, nobody likes that military junk anyway". I walked away.

I pay attention to business dealings some (and especially where I spend time shopping). When the Mills sold, I immediately took note of the current offerings of things I usually buy or need eventually. I have witnessed the change of stock merchandise in sporting goods, but also plumbing, electrical, lumber, farm, garden, etc. Everything became much more pre-packaged or commercial mass-produced cheap crap....and mostly no longer carry the stuff I normally need or want.

On top of that, they re-arranged the store with no logical order, so you can't find anything.

The Plymouth, WI Fleet at least has a hand-made posterboard map of the updated layout so we can find things without bothering the too-busy and too-few employees.

I'm not sure what that NY investment firm is thinking, but they sure aren't in touch with their customer base!!!

I haven't been back since, but I'm dreading the next trip.

A great move on their part ... their job is to market a product(s) where the margins allow them to meet their target profitability.

The gals spend $$ ...

Certain stores were going downwards anyway. Some of their stuff was cheap junk and you could never find what you need when it was in season. As soon as they would sell something out, they waited until next year to reorder. 20 lanes at check out and two were open. I like my Farm and Fleet!

I wonder if the hunting area a fleet will shrink ? I bet they get rid of the Stump and Shadow hunter blinds next year.