Interstate I55 Apple project (first time grafting)

Jordan Selsor

5 year old buck +
I have mentioned this apple tree before on here but will refresh your memory. A friend of mine noticed this apple tree that sits along interstate I55 close to my home. The tree is at the base of a rock bluff right between the interstate and outer-road. I would guess it to be approx 15ft tall. It appears to be in pretty dang good health even with the bag worms all over it. My guess is someone threw an apple out of their car window and one seed defied the odds and grew into a mature producing tree! Per my buddy this is a late dropping apple that is flat loaded every year! Pics below prove late dropper with one still hanging!
I am going to use this tree for my first attempt at grafting. Turkey Creek was gracious enough to agree to send me some rootstock to tinker with. Thanks Turkey Creek!!! I plan to document this project and hope to successfully clone this tree with y'alls help! So this morning I grabbed some of its branches for scion wood. I wasn't sure exactly what size to get so I grabbed much more than needed. Also I should have plenty extra if anyone wants some.
First question is how do I store the scion wood until I graft it to the root stock? I assume in the fridge? Am I looking for pencil size? Or smaller??? I appreciate you guys advise on this project. Hope you enjoy the pics of this tree. Thanks in advance

image1 (12).JPG

Late hanger
image1 (11).JPG

An pic of its setting along the interstate!!
image1 (13).JPG
Its at the base of the hill in between this outer road and major hwy. (between the 2 signs in the background)
image1 (14).JPG

Branches harvested for scion wood. Over kill I know lol
image1 (15).JPG
Apple up close
image1 (16).JPG

Did you take a bite to check the taste :D

Looks like it should be a good tree!

Typically last years growth is all that you graft with. You can usually see where growth stopped the previous season (generlly 3-4 rings around the limb close together) you can actually see them in your photos. Scion diameter can vary alot. depending on the grafting method you choose and the diameter of the rootstock different diameters of scions will work. Your right though in that pencil diameter tends to be the most versatile to work with. Store you scions as close to 32 degrees as you can with a damp paper towel in a sealed Ziplok bag. You harvested them plenty early but they will be fine if you kerp them cold. Good luck man!

Typically last years growth is all that you graft with. You can usually see where growth stopped the previous season (generlly 3-4 rings around the limb close together) you can actually see them in your photos. Scion diameter can vary alot. depending on the grafting method you choose and the diameter of the rootstock different diameters of scions will work. Your right though in that pencil diameter tends to be the most versatile to work with. Store you scions as close to 32 degrees as you can with a damp paper towel in a sealed Ziplok bag. You harvested them plenty early but they will be fine if you kerp them cold. Good luck man!

I can see the change in the branches easily! Got them trimmed up, zip locked an in the fridge!

And the addiction begins :D.
I know. I know.... I know....
Now I am grafting apple trees at age 60. Found room to plant some more today.

And the addiction begins :D.
Yep Im hooked! Healthy addiction though;) Could be like allot of my buddies spending half my paycheck at the bar on an addiction!

Well gonna kick this project up a notch! Just ordered 10 B118 an standard (Antonovka) root stock... Wanted to do some extra just in case some of my rookie grafts fail!!!
I will prolly have half my yard tilled up for an orchard next year an 100 rootstocks ordered;) lol

Last year was the first time I tried it. Used 10 B118's from Cummins. All grafts took. Deer ate one and killed it. Six of the rootstocks died. Had three survive and really take off. Thirty percent ain't great, but it was for a first-time, never-done-it-before grafter. On a side note I grafted 5 seedling pears over to Keifer, and ALL of them took off. Will do more of that for sure.

First grafts are done. Lets hope they take! I was very impressed with the Antonoka rootstock from burntridge! Its roots were very impressive compared to the B118 rootsock. I read they had big carrot like roots and they weren't lieing. I grafted the above mentioned I55 apple along with some yates and horse from THunter.
Tks again Tommy for all the seedlings, nuts, and scion wood you have hooked me up with over the past couple years!!!
image2 (1).JPG
image1 (28).JPG

The hole batch. I used teflon tape on some and electric on the others and wax from toilet bowl ring to seal up the grafts
image1 (29).JPG
image2.JPG

Looking good! Be careful when it comes to removing the electrical tape, I have heard it likes to take bark with it.

Looking good! Be careful when it comes to removing the electrical tape, I have heard it likes to take bark with it.
Will do Chris tks. How many inches up you typically place your graft union? I think I went a lil high on some of these

Will do Chris tks. How many inches up you typically place your graft union? I think I went a lil high on some of these
Mine vary 2-4" . I think some rootstocks impart their characteristcs more strongly than others. I know occasionally you see something that says make sure your graft union is no more than "x amount of inches above the soil line". Maya do you have some facts to add?

The hole batch. I used teflon tape on some and electric on the others and wax from toilet bowl ring to seal up the grafts

Funny because I was just looking at wax from toilet bowl rings wondering if it would be good for grafting, I don't think they are made from Beeswax anymore.

Jordan

Nice job!!! Where are you storing those grafts until they heal over? About a week or two. Keep them out of sunlight. 50-60 degrees.
In the basement now Tks to the great advise on here!!! Tk you!

Wanted to post an observation. Of my 10 grafts those on B118 rootstock are breaking buds nicely. The Antonovka are much slower going. I finally have 2 that are showing signs of life in the buds. Is this common for Antonovka roots???? This kinda surprised me. I figured the larger more impressive rootstock would produce results faster. Simply not so