Internet research, lol

AtomApple

5 year old buck +
One of these is fake news !

4F689F4A-62A9-4889-ABE2-3703D6E25C49.jpeg

One of these is fake news !

View attachment 47554

I suspect that weather/climate and different strains of the various diseases change perceptions of disease resistance in different locations.

Perhaps all apple scabs and fire blights are not the same. My deer /Apple mentor feels the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps, but I would guess a lot has to do with the fact that folks who know apples at the orchard, aren't the folks who publish the web site. Things often get mixed up and have little scrutiny. This is especially true if the "mix up" is benefitting sales. 😄

Since you are interested in Fake News for Apples, you might enjoy this old thread:

I suspect that weather/climate and different strains of the various diseases change perceptions of disease resistance in different locations.

Perhaps all apple scabs and fire blights are not the same. My deer /Apple mentor feels the same way.

My Uncle lives up by Boy River. He said he had a Haralson , Honey Crisp, State Fair, and Whitney crab; they all got FB and died. He said the Har lived the longest. I was looking up to see the DR on these.

Since you are interested in Fake News for Apples, you might enjoy this old thread:

Great thread…until it got hijacked . 😂
I did read it before. When I first joined I went through every page on the apple sub threads, and read all the ones that seemed interesting.
the idea that dwarf rootstock makes a tree more sus is very valid. I notice the one from Cummins is on G. stock.

I don’t think my uncle would know what RS his trees were on. I’m not even sure if FB was the actual cause, but he said he had some “expert” tell him that. The fact that he even knew about FB made it believable.

fwiw, Whitney is listed as VS, State Fair as S, and Har & HC are listed as R for Fire Blight…according to my research spread sheets.

Last edited:
My Uncle lives up by Boy River. He said he had a Haralson , Honey Crisp, State Fair, and Whitney crab; they all got FB and died. He said the Har lived the longest. I was looking up to see the DR on these.

I wonder if cold winters can damage the tree or it’s rootstock and set it up for disease to finish it off.

FWIW, after the last very cold winter (96?) I attended a meeting of central Minnesota fruit growers at the Staples votech. Many in central Minnesota had Honeycrisp die or die back.

I am just going by memory, but Haralson may be the most cold hardy of those trees.

Somewhere I have a printed report of apple survival at the Grand Rapids Experimental station from the year after Minnesota had the all time record low of about -60.

does rootstock of these trees effect scab? Some of these site post personal experiences in their orchards.

I think rootstocks play a part in DR, but I believe it's more about the variety grafted onto a rootstock. Open to correction!!

I think rootstocks play a part in DR, but I believe it's more about the variety grafted onto a rootstock. Open to correction!!
There are many disease vectors. I'm sure both parts of a tree play a role depending on the disease.

I have sent an email to Cummins before on an error I noticed they corrected it. I do not believe theirs to be wrong in this instance however. But certainly location and rootstock can have an effect on disease response that the nursery men notice.