Interesting Find

H20fwler

5 year old buck +
My youngest was elk hunting in Colorado the past two weeks and found a large broken up skeleton of something big. A large boulder had shifted and the crushed bones were under it, he did keep an eye tooth from a part of the top of skull. The eye tooth is over four inches long narrow and sharp, the jaw bone was huge... bigger than any horse or cow jawbone my son had ever seen. He sais the vertebra were the size of small plates.
I don't know what this could have been? My boy thinks it could have been some animal from the ice age or something, I tend to agree....what do you guys think?

SjaDZJA.jpg

I have no idea what it could be. Bison? Maybe too small to be a mammoth?
It looks a little larger than the jaw my wife found while scouting Jim's Creek Rapid, Selway River in Idaho. We can't quite figure out for certain what this jaw is either. We thought elk at first, but it could be a horse jaw. I like to imagine it's a jaw from one of Lewis and Clark's expedition. Guess we'll never know for sure.
July 2008 Montana 189.jpg

Both are almost certainly horse jaws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The eye tooth from it;

ByShQPf.jpg

Both are almost certainly horse jaws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. I think both are just horse lower jaws.

Could be, the one the boy found was under a boulder on top of a mountain in the Rockies maybe the boulder is what killed it.

Cool find. How was the elk hunt?

He had an either sex tag and had a few chances at cows very close but was holding out for a bull. Called in two bulls that weren't quite close enough and was going to try and stalk up to a really big bull that he glassed and he could see it was sleeping and his buddy talked him into trying to call him in and he spooked.
Four of them drove out and did a DYO hunt, his buddies go out every year. One of the guys did hit a bull a little high almost got to it and it took off like a jack rabbit over the mountain, they tracked it for a day and it never stopped.
They saw lots of elk, lots of bear, fly fished for trout and arrowed grouse for some of their meals.