Intentionally limiting conifer height?

J, if the goal is a visual screen from a public road do a berm. I have done nspruce, 3 rows staggered but a 3/0 takes 7-8 years from the screen to work. I went with berms to block day gawkers and shiners. Amazing how at ease the deer are now. 8 foot tall berm using a hi ho will cost $1/lineal yard. I then plant shrubs from mdc for more heigth and wr for erosion.

I like the idea - I just don't see that being in the cards. My wife would think I lost my mind and was building some sort of fortress! Might as well build a moat and drawbridge! She thinks I'm crazy enough as it is.

T

the county did a free 1 mile berm for us 10 years ago clearing trees back from scratching milk trucks. Amazing how traffic is a non event since. Love the moat/fortress affect. No more shiners, no more day glassing.lots of berms popping up in my county now.
The only thing the county did for me was use some sort of rotary ditch making tool and threw mud and grass all over my woven wire fence that looked like hell for a couple of months, or when they trim the limbs from the trees back from the road by using a rotary cutter on an arm and it just chews the crap out of the trees and once again looks like hell.

I don't see a berm in my future - but I like the idea.

Look into Mugo pines... (don't laugh, look into them)

-John

Looks like we are on the same page John, that is exactly what I recommended to bueller in his "Dappled Willow" thread a few days ago. I think they could be a great addition in specific areas like under power lines. I get what you mean by "don't laugh" because they look totally like a landscape bush, but their are many varieties of mugo pine out there. The key is to find somewhere that sells the "deer screen sized" varieties as seedlings in bulk and won't break the bank.

Great find TT, I would just be careful and ask the seller questions about the variety, these maybe the ones that only get 2'-3' tall and wouldn't make much of a screen at that height. Other varieties will grow to between 8'-12', those are the ones you want for screening.

Great find TT, I would just be careful and ask the seller questions about the variety, these maybe the ones that only get 2'-3' tall and wouldn't make much of a screen at that height. Other varieties will grow to between 8'-12', those are the ones you want for screening.

I tried to find out on the site but the variety was not stated. As you said a phone call would be necessary.

Great find WB. I was looking at some items from the link in your post, and I found some interesting info on a conifer that I knew very little about other than it was native to WV. Here are a couple links with good info on the Canaan Fir. Some botanists think it is a naturally occuring hybrid balsam/frasier cross, but most classify it as a variety of balsam fir. It could possibly be another option for guys with a bit wetter areas and maybe in slightly warmer areas like j-bird. Looks like it is good from Zone 6 down to Zone 3 as well, so it could potentially be a good fit for guys like chummer on his new place and BJE after he get his cleared?

http://www.learn2grow.com/plants/abies-balsamea-var-phanerolepis/

EDIT: I did read in a boring scientific paper on browse utilization that apparently deer in it's native Canaan Valley in WV think it is very tasty(at least when they are young). It stated that 100% of the Canaan Fir under 40" in height showed heavy browse. Might want to plant these into downed tree tops just in case.:eek:

Last edited: