In the South - dont ever plant grass before Oct

SwampCat

5 year old buck +
IMG_2397.jpeg

That bright green growing in the mud flats was two week old drone seeded japanese millet in one of my duck holes

This is what it all looks like now - plus ten acres down at the dock lease. It is a tough lesson for me to learn. In much of the south - DONT EVER plant grass based food plots before Oct 1 - or the army worms are likely to make you pay. An expensive lesson I have a hard time learning

IMG_2477.jpeg

I think historically you could have but the ever changing climate is making summers longer and hotter and drier. You can plant in ky on into late September and be ok when historically you should be in last of august/Labor Day.

I think historically you could have but the ever changing climate is making summers longer and hotter and drier. You can plant in ky on into late September and be ok when historically you should be in last of august/Labor Day.
Unfortunately, if planting japanese millet for ducks, you have to plant summer. Always been a gamble. 20 years ago we used to consider cutoff day for army worms sept 15 and we would plant wheat, oats, or rye afterwards. Now we wait until Oct 1 to escape them.

Unfortunately, if planting japanese millet for ducks, you have to plant summer. Always been a gamble. 20 years ago we used to consider cutoff day for army worms sept 15 and we would plant wheat, oats, or rye afterwards. Now we wait until Oct 1 to escape them.
We don’t get army worms where I’m at, at least not yet. But my buddy in Georgia said they had them horribly this year.

It's been really bad here this year farther south, but I have heard of a few hay farmers having to spray about 15 miles from my place. I need to get back out there to check on things but my son hasn't mentioned anything.

similar to swamp cat , my best results have been the last 2 years because I waited til early october

Usually the first or second weekend

Less risk of damage from army worms and higher likelihood of seasonal ,broader rain coverage

bill