Improving water flow on garden hose

bigboreblr

5 year old buck +
Looking to reduce my time watering a bunch of trees in the backyard. Not sure If I am putting a watering system in.

Thinking of upgrading to 3/4" hose and replacing my faucet through the basement with a hi flow 3/4" one and 3/4" hose.

I have a whole house filter I am going to bypass too. Might turn up the pump and tank air bladder pressure some too.

Got about 20-30 tree apple plantings, a tree nursery, 40 spruce trees I give some water to here n there, and a pre existing privacy screen of 20 or so red cedars. Most will reach with-in 200 ft;

If you have 1/2" lines in the basement feeding the outside faucet going to a 3/4" faucet won't help much. The 3/4" hose will help some with friction loss. Turning up the pressure on the bladder tank won't help, in fact it might cut down on your GPM. Your pump is rated for a certain GPM at different pressures usually the higher the pressure the lower the GPM. Bypassing the filter should help by eliminating any friction loss across the filter.

A pump with a higher GPM rating than your current one or putting in larger piping from the pump/tank to your outside faucet would help as long as you're not using water anywhere else while watering your trees. Don't know your climate but if it's not too cold you could possibly drive a sandpoint and put in a seperate pump for watering, even if it gets below freezing you could drain the system for the winter.

I use 3/4” hose and it’s a big improvement over 5/8” but I don’t have a well system to deal with.

I'm a big fan of soaker hoses.

You can often get old garden hoses for free and then just punch holes in them. Then wrap old rags around it where you punched the holes so it doesn't spray. Turn it on, leave it for an hour, turn it off.

The lines were 1/2" and will be swapped to 3/4". I got to replumb the filter bypass anyway.

Not sure if I'd do the soaker hose thing. I do have a ton of hose though. Wife might not like moving that around. She likes doing the mowing. Atleast she used to before all the tree cage road course came to town...... She is happy I removed the old trees. If I do the soaker hose, I will do it right, bury it. Wife keeps flipping back n forth whether we're selling or keeping. Said screw it and planted a new orchard atleast.

Might donate the old hoses to camp so we can run a sump pump line from the creek. DEC inspector told us to remove the shower house attached to the cabin, so we got to work on it a bit.

We T’d off of our well between it and the house and ran a yard hydrant across the yard. It bypasses the entire house while still being back pressured by the pressure tank. Works great with way more pressure than the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watrer that many trees with 2 sump pumps ran off a generator hooked up to 2- 1/2 inch irrigation tubing and I poke the hole and just use the small barbed fitting as the sand in my water plugs up the drippers.But you can give 27 trees 10 gallon withpout having to fill tote so with real plumbing it should be a breeze.If going off your plumbing like mentioned I would take T-Max and inst frost free hydrants in places that work for the way your trees are layed out and not have to mess with again.Run a T off in your house or where ever it's convenient hook to 1 inch black roll pipe and run to where you want hydrant dig a hole apx 12 inches across put some clean gravel in and then put hydrant in and drive T post right next to hydrant pipe,Then put some more gravel in hole and cover.I always use two hose clamps facing opposite directions and don't use nylon couplings.

I'm kinda lost with all the hose options out there. Any particular good or bad 3/4" 100ft hoses?

I just bought a “contractor grade” 3/4” 100’ from WalMart today. Seems heavy built. Thick metal connectors and the rubber seems heavy duty. $60

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will put it in this summer. Went with the no dig method, the dig method has not treated my right bicep well lately....

Woodford true 3/4" sweat connection. Will touch up the insides of the faucet with my old cylinder head pencil grinders. Probably overkill....

Bought 3 100ft of ace cntractor grade 3/4" hose. Was the cheapest of the flexeon brand. Stuff looks built well. heavy. filled with more water, think im trading time for hassle of moving the larger hose. Likely another overkill, but going to trim the washers a bit more open.

Likely overkill again, I bought the wide radius pipe fittings.

Looked at like 50 different inline valves, almost all had tiny holes. Found one that had easily a 5/8" hole vs 3/8" stuff. I may take a female thread to sweat and hammer a hi-flo fan Maybe widdle somethin gon the old smitty lathe.

Attachments

• 20230331_131839 (1).jpg
    20230331_131839 (1).jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited: