IMOX rate PER gallon

DRG3

5 year old buck +
I have a first year (planted last fall) clover plot and when I went to check it last week it’s been taken over by ryegrass.

I mowed it Saturday and I have some left over IMOX that I’m thinking of using on it. 2 years ago I quit spraying established clover in favor of mechanical weed control. However in this case I think I need to act drastically or I’ll lose this plot.

I understand the application rate as far as oz of product per acre and gallons of water per acre- but this is going to have to be done with a backpack sprayer so I’m looking to see if anyone can give me a simple - use x ounces of imox and x ounces of crop oil per gallon. Thanks in advance.

I have a first year (planted last fall) clover plot and when I went to check it last week it’s been taken over by ryegrass.

I mowed it Saturday and I have some left over IMOX that I’m thinking of using on it. 2 years ago I quit spraying established clover in favor of mechanical weed control. However in this case I think I need to act drastically or I’ll lose this plot.

I understand the application rate as far as oz of product per acre and gallons of water per acre- but this is going to have to be done with a backpack sprayer so I’m looking to see if anyone can give me a simple - use x ounces of imox and x ounces of crop oil per gallon. Thanks in advance.
How big is your clover plot?

If it’s actual rye grass.

The Imox label specifies 16-32 oz per acre.

I figure 13 ish gallons of water per acre through my backpack sprayer.

If you were to go 32oz per acre using 13 gallons that would give you 2.46 oz/gallon.

Someone can check my math if needed or chime in on water rates but you will have to determine how much water you will use before anyone can really do this calculation for you.

Oz per gal really has no meaning as long as you use enough water to get sufficient distribution of the product. The key to the post above was knowing that he can cover 1 acre with 13 gal with his backpack sprayer.

I think you best bet is to figure out how much coverage you can get with a tank in your sprayer. You can just fill it with water and go out and spray. As long as you know how much acreage you can cover fairly evenly with it, you can use the math in the previous post to figure out how much to use.

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited:
Yikes....that Imox is some spendy stuff. Never use any.

I dont know what part of the country you are in, but annual rye grass is naturally maturing and dying on its own here in SW AR. Down here, it wouldnt do much good to spray it now.

Thanks all. The plot is just over 1/4 acre. I’m In north west Ky near the Ohio river.

This ryegrass surprised me. Fall before last I had planted whitail institute no plow which lists annual rye. The. In preparation last fall I mowed them sprayed then tilled and planted oats and clover. No sign of the rye until this spring and it’s totally over taken.

I can only guess it went to seed last year.

I mowed it 2 days ago. Is spraying the best method here or should I try somthing else. Really don’t want to give up on this clover.

I have never planted a seed of annual rye grass on my place. I have owned my place for 18 years and never saw any annual ryegrass until three years ago. It covers all 30 acres of my food plots I have, now. Here, it is dying out now and the clover will be fine. Your rye grass may linger much longer into the growing season than mine does.

I’m in western Ky. Any ideas on how long that I should expect it to linger if it’s annual (and I believe it is)? I clipped it to clover height 2 weeks ago.

Update- I went and checked the plot today. Two weeks today since I clipped the annual rye At clover height. I took imox with me but after looking at the plot the rye was much thinner and minimal regrowth and a few weeds I decided to weedeat the plot at clover height and not spray. I think I can keep it controlled.

Update- I went and checked the plot today. Two weeks today since I clipped the annual rye At clover height. I took imox with me but after looking at the plot the rye was much thinner and minimal regrowth and a few weeds I decided to weedeat the plot at clover height and not spray. I think I can keep it controlled.

Were you trying to kill the WR?

Yes. I was trying to kill it or at least reduce it.

Yes. I was trying to kill it or at least reduce it.
There is never a need for that when using WR as a nurse crop for perennial clover. You simply mow it in the spring. Each time the WR hits much over a food mow it back to about 8". If you have rain in the forecast you can even mow it back to 6". You don't want to kill the WR. You want it to stay alive. It both takes up space and resources that weeds would otherwise use. It also has a chemical impact that reduces germination in many weed seeds. All you want to do is to mow it so light can get into your clover. This is called releasing the clover. WR is an annual. It will die naturally during the summer, but by then, the perennial clover should be pretty well established.

THanks,

Jack

There is never a need for that when using WR as a nurse crop for perennial clover. You simply mow it in the spring. Each time the WR hits much over a food mow it back to about 8". If you have rain in the forecast you can even mow it back to 6". You don't want to kill the WR. You want it to stay alive. It both takes up space and resources that weeds would otherwise use. It also has a chemical impact that reduces germination in many weed seeds. All you want to do is to mow it so light can get into your clover. This is called releasing the clover. WR is an annual. It will die naturally during the summer, but by then, the perennial clover should be pretty well established.

THanks,

Jack
That is fantastic information. Thank you very much. Really glad I didn’t spray it!