All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Imidan?

jwill1776

5 year old buck +
I had been buying Imidan from Keystone Pest Solutions:

https://www.keystonepestsolutions.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=399

Keystone is no longer shipping Imidan as it has now been labeled as poisons product, anyone know anything about this or know if there is a suitable replacement?

Keystone lists Belt and Brigade as replacements but I don't know anything about them. ( Everything I know related to spraying apples came from others on this site so thank you)

You can try Midwest Grower Supply out of Missouri. I think they sell a variety of chemicals.

Wow I didn't know about this and have been using imidan for years. I will get my private applicators license this year so I can keep spraying if this is true

It says that Keystone wont ship it because it has to be shipped under hazard placard on the carrier vehicle, so carriers like Fedex and UPS wont deliver it. I looked at the 2 alternatives they recommend and Belt SC looks more toxic than Imidan :eek: and it looks like you might as well just spray Sevin if you are going to spray Brigade. I dont think Brigade is even registered for apples.

Avaunt by DuPont is as equally effective, if not more, then Imidan (Phosmat). It has excellent efficacy for control of Plum Curculio. apple saw fly, potato leaf hoppers, and potato leaf bug, as well as other major insects listed. It is safer then the organophosphate Imidan and comes in liquid form less the putrid smell. I have found it on line, but warn it is a restrictive material in some states and may require an applicators license.

Appleman, do you find Avaunt to be better control for PC than Imidan? I'd like better control on outside rows.

Yes, When using Avaunt in replacement of Imidan I had some of the cleanest fruit that I have grown. Virtually no damage.

Who has the bigger orchard Maya or Appleman? Appleman where is your orchard located 'zone' wise.

He's north of me right on the border of Canada....literally!

He does, but bigger is kind or relative. I think I've got more trees, but he has them planted on a larger acreage on a couple different properties. He's got semi dwarf (b118 & m111 mostly), and I have about 40 semi dwarf, and 1300+ dwarfs. Different systems, different preferences. Not sure how many bushel he is putting out, but I put out about 550-600 this year and will do 13-1500 in a couple more years.

Not sure how many trees he's got, 4-500 now Bill?

Is this all you do or is this on the side of something else? I'm just kinda slowly gathering information on what the heck i should do in 10 years if my trees are throwing fruit like crazy. I guess just maybe farmers markets since it'll only be 1 trees worth of fruit but thats still a lot of fruit for 1 person to deal with. :)

I have around 450 trees that I care for mostly on B118, and some on G30, M7 and M111. I worked for IBM as an Engineering Tech for 25 years. In 2003 my wife and I bought the Franklin General Store here in Franklin, Vermont. I write for QDMA Whitetail Magazine from time to time, and have for 20 years sell apple trees and teach others the science of growing apples. Maya is a good friend and shares the same passion I have for hunting whitetails and growing good fruit. He has done a great job managing his orchard in central Vermont. I am located in USDA zone 3a. One other things worth mentioning is having the good fortune, after years of growing and testing, for Stark Bros Nursery to patented the "Franklin Cider" apple for me. https://www.starkbros.com/about/news/article/new-apples-2017 I produce around 500 to 600 bushels, mostly honeycrisp, and expect it to peak around 1300 to 1500 bushels in a few years. Most of my apple sales are done right through my store and wholesale to other orchards. I also enjoy making sweet and hard cider.

Appleman - So what you're telling us is that you paid no attention in school, and are lazy ?? ^^^^^^ :D

I have around 450 trees that I care for mostly on B118, and some on G30, M7 and M111. I worked for IBM as an Engineering Tech for 25 years. In 2003 my wife and I bought the Franklin General Store here in Franklin, Vermont. I write for QDMA Whitetail Magazine from time to time, and have for 20 years sell apple trees and teach others the science of growing apples. Maya is a good friend and shares the same passion I have for hunting whitetails and growing good fruit. He has done a great job managing his orchard in central Vermont. I am located in USDA zone 3a. One other things worth mentioning is having the good fortune, after years of growing and testing, for Stark Bros Nursery to patented the "Franklin Cider" apple for me. https://www.starkbros.com/about/news/article/new-apples-2017 I produce around 500 to 600 bushels, mostly honeycrisp, and expect it to peak around 1300 to 1500 bushels in a few years. Most of my apple sales are done right through my store and wholesale to other orchards. I also enjoy making sweet and hard cider.

Appleman,
Congratulations on developing an apple that was patented by Stark, that is quite an accomplishment and I am sure the result of much planning and hard work. You are rightly proud of your efforts. I hope that you receive adequate compensation, in both recognition and royalties. Hats off to you.