If you shoot a deer......

When the meat is spoiled as the tag stays with the meat. Otherwise You would have a fresh buck rack in possession and no meat. The warden was very clear. He even said we would not like the rack price and said to tie the rack so critters don't haul it away, go get it in the winter. Btw, a velvet buck needs a special warden tag as well. Go figure. Just like a velvet buck, these regs make me half nuts!

Wait what? LOL

So I shoot a buck opening night at 70 deg and gut shoot it. I don't find it till the next evening and the meat is shot and you are telling me I have to pay for the rack? No way.

FTR, I stand by what I said before and would do the same thing even if N4ever is right. Screw that.

From another web site I read someone got clarification on these sort of questions

What Kabic posted sounds excatly right.

Yes, #1 from Kabic's warden response nailed it. I was dealing with a 5 day old car kill which is response #2
Ok. I thought you were saying if I shot a buck but didn't find it for awhile I would have to pay for the anterlers as soon as the meat spoils. If I shoot a buck, its mine IMO and not the states. If I find a deer I totally understand having to get a tag.

I keep hunting.

What's interesting is some high $$$ elk, moose guides have a similar draw blood and your $13-15k hunt is over. Shockey is one of them. Makes You think twice about releasing a 55 yard $15,000 arrow.

Yep! happened to my buddy in Africa on some curly horned thing. Touched the release early and hit some other animal at the water hole in the leg below the knee. $2,500 gone!

In reference to your original question.
I would keep hunting although I would put much more effort into recovery.
If I found the buck days later an meat was spoiled. I would tag. We are lucky enough in Mo to get 3 buck tags b/t archery an rifle.