If it’s the states game

Not sure about Ky. but to be clear in La. you only have to remove all deer from an enclosure if you are introducing new genetics to the enclosure. If there is no new introduction then nothing is required. There are no special requirements required to build a fence. The deer inside an enclosure are still controlled by state law. To enhance mgt on all properties La. has a DMAP program landowners can sign up for which enhances individual property mgt. options. Its a great program for optimizing herd quality especially with the option of game fencing.
Are you subject to state game laws? If so I see no reason why considering your actions have no repercussions on the states herd. They can say all they want but that is 100% your deer herd.

Having grown up in Texas, the high fence capital, I always found the laws weird. I don’t know about other states, but game animals here are property of the people held in trust by the state. Once you enclose a high fence, the state performs a census and you pay a fee based on the number of deer you enclosed. Once they start reproducing you don’t pay any extra as the population expands within the gate.

The deer, from a management perspective, are essentially your property. If someone trespasses and kills one, you can sue for lost value and such. But, they always stay the technical property of the people’s of Texas, still held in trust by the state. So, if the state decides to make population reduction measures in your region (like some states have done to stop the spread of say CWD) they can sharpshooter every native animal in the enclosure without compensating you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that may be the way it is in about every state, I believe it's called the Public Trust Doctrine and says the residents (public) that live within a given state own the wildlife within that states boundaries and the state manages the wildlife. My reply doesn't have to do with anything inside a HF the rules and regs on that no doubt varies from state to state...I just think of this provision when I see NR hunters arguing on hunting sites about how they think they have the same rights to the wildlife as the residents of the state they are visiting.

Are you subject to state game laws? If so I see no reason why considering your actions have no repercussions on the states herd. They can say all they want but that is 100% your deer herd.
I am subject to our states game laws. I am on DMAP as are any number of properties I am familiar with. Great program for managing deer as said. And as I've said many times I'm quite delighted with my situation.

I am subject to our states game laws. I am on DMAP as are any number of properties I am familiar with. Great program for managing deer as said. And as I've said many times I'm quite delighted with my situation.
Ok wonderful, I didn’t suggest otherwise. I was just curious on how it worked.

Area I hunt isn't high fenced and majority not fenced at all (couple of hundred yards along highway in front of my home are fenced but open at ends), but said before and say again don't feel I have a big dog in this fight.

In a way I think it's funny that states can even claim deer as property, and say that as I didn't know deer respect state lines. Guess ones with water as borders helps keep them in check, but those with open land borders must have a heck of a time getting deer to respect those property lines. :emoji_wink:

Last edited:
Area I hunt isn't high fenced and majority not fenced at all (couple of hundred yards along highway in front of my home are fenced but open at ends), but said before and say again don't feel I have a big dog in this fight.

In a way I think it's funny that states can even claim deer as property, and say that as I didn't know deer respect state lines. Guess ones with water as borders helps keep them in check, but those with open land borders must have a heck of a time getting deer to respect those property lines. ;-)

Here, deer are property of the state while they are in the state and while they are alive. Once dead, they become property of the property owner. So, if you shoot a deer here and it runs on to a neighboring property and dies, the neighbor can deny you access and keep the deer if he wants.