If it’s the states game

Howboutthemdawgs

5 year old buck +
How are high fences legal? I respect anyone’s private property rights but shouldn’t they have remove the deer (no idea how) or have a census done and reimburse the taxpayers? Also why are game laws enforced on a high fence? Who cares what they do within the fence. Speaking of deer obviously, turkeys and ducks, etc can leave.

Oh boy, this should be a fun thread lol.

If you want some more reading, there was a really interesting and public case of this several years ago in Louisiana. Here are a couple of links for you in the meantime:

And a very similar question was posed here: https://app.louisianasportsman.com/...eports&event=view&action=full_report&id=21882

Why worry about what someone is doing on their piece of dirt...High fence stuff isn't my cup of tea but if someone is offering and someone wants to pay...Who cares???

Why worry about what someone is doing on their piece of dirt...High fence stuff isn't my cup of tea but if someone is offering and someone wants to pay...Who cares???
Cause I was curious. Do you ever ask questions about stuff you wonder about or just never try to understand what you do get? Thanks for your reply though to something you apparently don’t care about.

Cause I was curious. Do you ever ask questions about stuff you wonder about or just never try to understand what you do get? Thanks for your reply though to something you apparently don’t care about.
I apologize...I definitely came off like a D!$%!!! I really do not like when people try to impose their feelings or beliefs on what others are doing as long as they are not breaking any laws or hurting anyone. Especially when it comes to our rights (Hunting, religion, guns) etc....the way you started your post got my dander up. I imagine its kinda like farming in a sense. I know in South Africa you are not subject to game laws if you have a high fence but they will come and tell you how many animals you have to kill etc...I have a buddy that is a PH there and then comes here to guide upland birds in GA.

I apologize...I definitely came off like a D!$%!!! I really do not like when people try to impose their feelings or beliefs on what others are doing as long as they are not breaking any laws or hurting anyone. Especially when it comes to our rights (Hunting, religion, guns) etc....the way you started your post got my dander up. I imagine its kinda like farming in a sense. I know in South Africa you are not subject to game laws if you have a high fence but they will come and tell you how many animals you have to kill etc...I have a buddy that is a PH there and then comes here to guide upland birds in GA.
no worries

My feelings on fences have been made here and I really don’t intend to turn that into a commentary on the morality of them. I was truly curious of the questions I asked because to me I can’t make any sense of it. I just don’t see how they can take our deer (and other animals) and claim them as their own.

In my state the wild game has to be driven out first and anything "wild" that is placed in the enclosure must be on a permit. Records must be kept and the state inspects everything from time to time.

In my state the wild game has to be driven out first and anything "wild" that is placed in the enclosure must be on a permit. Records must be kept and the state inspects everything from time to time.
That’s a good policy. I know for a fact that is not uniform. But realistically how on earth to you run everything off a 2000 acre spread...

That’s a good policy. I know for a fact that is not uniform. But realistically how on earth to you run everything off a 2000 acre spread...

Agree
Laws and rules on it probably vary some from state to state.

In Kentucky and Louisiana, the wild deer must be removed before they are given their permit to bring deer in. The enclosures are required to be inspected before issued their permit.

In Kentucky and Louisiana, the wild deer must be removed before they are given their permit to bring deer in. The enclosures are required to be inspected before issued their permit.
But what if you don’t intend to bring deer in?

Here to place a high fence all “natural” deer have to be removed from enclosure. Certain inspections and rules and testing are in place.
But I thot the deer that fed on our property was “our “deer and “our “deer only not to be shot by anyone else any place else???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How are high fences legal? I respect anyone’s private property rights but shouldn’t they have remove the deer (no idea how) or have a census done and reimburse the taxpayers? Also why are game laws enforced on a high fence? Who cares what they do within the fence. Speaking of deer obviously, turkeys and ducks, etc can leave.

Depends on the state you are in. In my state, every so many feet, the high fence must be lowered so deer can jump it. To do total high fence requires a special permit.

I grew up in MI, a guy in the local area did a high fence. The steps he had to go to in order to close the fence were extreme. They had to drive all deer out, and the DNR had to come back and not find ANY tracks for some extended period. It turned out nearly impossible to drive every deer out; it took several months before they were OK'd.

I grew up in MI, a guy in the local area did a high fence. The steps he had to go to in order to close the fence were extreme. They had to drive all deer out, and the DNR had to come back and not find ANY tracks for some extended period. It turned out nearly impossible to drive every deer out; it took several months before they were OK'd.
Was that guy the great white hunter ted nugent!

Having grown up in Texas, the high fence capital, I always found the laws weird. I don’t know about other states, but game animals here are property of the people held in trust by the state. Once you enclose a high fence, the state performs a census and you pay a fee based on the number of deer you enclosed. Once they start reproducing you don’t pay any extra as the population expands within the gate.

The deer, from a management perspective, are essentially your property. If someone trespasses and kills one, you can sue for lost value and such. But, they always stay the technical property of the people’s of Texas, still held in trust by the state. So, if the state decides to make population reduction measures in your region (like some states have done to stop the spread of say CWD) they can sharpshooter every native animal in the enclosure without compensating you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as I am aware IN is another state where you have to remove all "wild" deer first as well. To me it makes sense that if the wild deer are the property of the state, that they would have to be removed. After that...the deer that are brought in are personal property, just like livestock. I can see in Texas and the like where you would have large enclosures how it would be nearly impossible to remove those animals.

As far as I am aware IN is another state where you have to remove all "wild" deer first as well. To me it makes sense that if the wild deer are the property of the state, that they would have to be removed. After that...the deer that are brought in are personal property, just like livestock. I can see in Texas and the like where you would have large enclosures how it would be nearly impossible to remove those animals.
That sounds like a terrible idea to me. Bringing in foreign deer just doesn't seem right. I like the texas model above with the exception of ANY state oversight after the state is compensated for the animal.

Not sure about Ky. but to be clear in La. you only have to remove all deer from an enclosure if you are introducing new genetics to the enclosure. If there is no new introduction then nothing is required. There are no special requirements required to build a fence. The deer inside an enclosure are still controlled by state law. To enhance mgt on all properties La. has a DMAP program landowners can sign up for which enhances individual property mgt. options. Its a great program for optimizing herd quality especially with the option of game fencing.