Idiot of the Day

Barndog56

5 year old buck +
I think I win this award.

When I walk through my orchard I usually have my dogs with me, unless I'm working on something. And we usually follow the same path, on the south side of the trees so I don't have to look into the sun.

I've been wondering why my Ayers pear was taking so long to leaf out. Just this week a couple of flowers finally tried to open, but looked pretty crappy. So today I took a complete look at the tree.
20180602_173337.jpg

Is that the worst fireblight ever? Tree is brown on the other side. Lol. I'll take it out and burn it. Is it ok to plant something else in that spot?

Fireblight is airborn, so yes you can replant something there... unless the fire bight was all the way down to the roots. Then I'd plant a FB resistant apple instead.

If that happened this year it is not the result of fire blight. Could very well be winter damage. No way fire blight caused that in the course of a month.

I would question fire blight damage also. We had a severe winter a couple of years back and one of my Asian pears looked the same way in the spring. Most of the branches were dark brown or black. A few buds tried to leaf out but soon died. I believe that it is winter freeze damage.

If that happened this year it is not the result of fire blight. Could very well be winter damage. No way fire blight caused that in the course of a month.

Exactly.....

Plus, there isn't an apple in the world more resistant to FB than an Ayers Pear.

Thanks gents, for adding more knowledge to this forum. ^^^^ :emoji_thumbsup:

I guess that makes me feel a little better. Any way to prevent winter kill on trees when you're pushing the zone limits?

Don’t push zone limits? That’s my advice haha. I keep trying and it has failed on the ones I try.

Hey which side is the south side exposure of this tree.......homer-doh.jpg

Bummer bro!

I think I win this award.

When I walk through my orchard I usually have my dogs with me, unless I'm working on something. And we usually follow the same path, on the south side of the trees so I don't have to look into the sun.

I've been wondering why my Ayers pear was taking so long to leaf out. Just this week a couple of flowers finally tried to open, but looked pretty crappy. So today I took a complete look at the tree.
View attachment 18700

Is that the worst fireblight ever? Tree is brown on the other side. Lol. I'll take it out and burn it. Is it ok to plant something else in that spot?
Well at least you had an idea of what could possibly have been wrong.....I have such little experience with fruit trees I had no idea what I was looking at one way or the other.

Its fighting to stay alive. Anything I can do to help it?20180604_124740.jpg

I had a wolf river that started with that black trunk a couple years ago and it is completely dead this year. I don't think there is any saving it but not sure what causes it. Wolf River should not suffer winter damage but it looks exactly like your tree.

All those leaves died, but it sent up a shoot from just above the rootstock.
20180625_151353.jpg

One of my pears did the same thing. I'm about ready to pull the plug on them.

Its fighting to stay alive. Anything I can do to help it?
If you haven't latex the trunk and the rest of the fruit trees too. Hope that shoot takes off and grows good for you, like what has been said Ayers is a really good hardy pear.

Yep, gonna make sure I get latex on all of them this fall.

All those leaves died, but it sent up a shoot from just above the rootstock.
View attachment 19131
I had a chestnut tree that the deer mangled last year....tore off the cage, chewed to a stick and then rubbed to hell and back. I had a tattered stick of about 2 to 3 feet that was once a 6 or 7 foot tree. I had a green little bud show up on it this spring, so I cut the dead off of it and it has responded very well thus far...... So don't give up. I realize the variety may be the issue with your tree, but as far as the the idea of salvaging a "lost" cause.....there is hope.

Fighting through this drought.
20180709_082449.jpg

^^^ I hope it survives for you.

Doesn't look like sun scald to me and that is what latex paint is usually used to prevent isn't it