Ideas for perennial food plot mix

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
Would a mix of a white clover ( Ladino, Alice, etc. ), some type of alfalfa, and chicory make a good perennial plot ?? Looking for ideas from the farmers & experienced plotters. If this is a good combo , what proportions should the mix be in ?? Is there anything you'd add or change ?? This would be for a new plot.

My camp has one plot of established white clover with chicory in it. Can alfalfa or something else be over-seeded into THAT plot to improve it/diversify it ??

You can drill alfalfa into that plot, alfalfa doesn't necessarily overseed(broadcast) well.

How perennial do you want that plot?

Last edited:
Do they eat the chicory? Never touched it for me.

Whip - 5 years or so. We don't have a drill either. All of our plots are broadcast. We have plows, discs, spring-tooth harrow, cultipacker.
G & G - they do eat it at our camp. It's not as hot a ticket as clover, oats, rye, or w. wheat, but they do hit it - usually harder during the hot months.

If we were going to plant this mixed perennial plot, it would be seeded all at the same time. What would be a sensible mix where one plant wouldn't out-compete or shade out the others ??

Sounds like a good mix to me, 4-5 # clover, 2-3# alfalfa, 1-2# chicory. I might throw oats in there if planting this spring.

I'm planning on a white clover-chicory-small burnett mix. clover for all but mid summer, chicory for that mid summer heat, and the burnet to have some green under the snow. My neighbor has a chicory clover mix that he's had in for (I think) 4 years, and it's just starting to putz out. He hasn't overseeded with anything, so I'd say if you overseeded with the same mix every few years you could have it going indefinitely.

Would you want some medium red in there with oats planted at the same time then roll the oats in july and add rye as a nurse crop? I'm planning on doing something similar to this as well this spring

Yup! I was planning on fall seeding this.

A high quality red clover and alfalfa go great together. You have to look into the specific varieties of red clover and alfalfa that are tested in your area for longevity. Start with some long term red clover and alfalfa field performance trials from your area to find out what varieties will work best for you. Call your county extension office and talk to them. Ask them what varieties the farmers plant for long term dairy pasture. Know your soil makeup, as different alfalfa varieties are bred to perform on different types of soils. Be careful on your seeding rate of the red clover, if seeded too heavily, it will outcompete the alfalfa as seedlings and the alfalfa will struggle in the plot. If you want a perennial plot to last "indefinately", and you have good soil, not much beats Kura clover and falcata alfalfa. Stands of Kura clover have persisted for more than 15 years in test plots and are still going strong. It reproduces through both reseeding and through stolons, similar to white clover. The original "planting" of falcata alfalfa in South Dakota is around 100 years old. It reproduces through rhizomes and even though it produces few seeds, the pods shatter readily and 50% can be hard seed that once it makes it to the ground, can germinate in subsequent years, so it can hang around a while as well. Both Kura and falcata need a ph between 6.5-7, and can be notoriously hard to establish, but once they are, they are both excellent draws in the fall. I have a friend with a plot of this and I don't remember exactly how long it has been there, but I know it is going on 10+ years and it has deer in it every day and deer will dig through the snow to get at it.

A high quality red clover and alfalfa go great together. You have to look into the specific varieties of red clover and alfalfa that are tested in your area for longevity. Start with some long term red clover and alfalfa field performance trials from your area to find out what varieties will work best for you. Call your county extension office and talk to them. Ask them what varieties the farmers plant for long term dairy pasture. Know your soil makeup, as different alfalfa varieties are bred to perform on different types of soils. Be careful on your seeding rate of the red clover, if seeded too heavily, it will outcompete the alfalfa as seedlings and the alfalfa will struggle in the plot. If you want a perennial plot to last "indefinately", and you have good soil, not much beats Kura clover and falcata alfalfa. Stands of Kura clover have persisted for more than 15 years in test plots and are still going strong. It reproduces through both reseeding and through stolons, similar to white clover. The original "planting" of falcata alfalfa in South Dakota is around 100 years old. It reproduces through rhizomes and even though it produces few seeds, the pods shatter readily and 50% can be hard seed that once it makes it to the ground, can germinate in subsequent years, so it can hang around a while as well. Both Kura and falcata need a ph between 6.5-7, and can be notoriously hard to establish, but once they are, they are both excellent draws in the fall. I have a friend with a plot of this and I don't remember exactly how long it has been there, but I know it is going on 10+ years and it has deer in it every day and deer will dig through the snow to get at it.

I was planning on trying some Kura, but I'll need a bit of lime to get up above 6.5!