Ice Cider

sandbur

5 year old buck +
Has anybody made it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How you start...?

iced apple.JPG

I was talking to a guy from the Cider Guild at the state fair and he said the process started with guys in Quebec using apples that had frozen and thawed towards spring and that were still on the tree.

If I understand correctly, the present process is to press Cider and then freeze it, allowing it to thaw and freeze at normal late winter / spring cycle. Collect the liquid when slightly frozen to concentrate flavor. Then ferment.

He has some chestnut crab, ice cider I hope to try.

The process sounds some what similar to freeze distilling, but fermenting is done after freezing instead of before.

I make some every year. My process is just freeze condensing though. I take a 5 gallon batch that’s already fermenting, leave it outside when temps are single digits, pull off and discard the ice. Usually end up with 2.5-3g of more concentrated cider with higher alcohol content. Fun process to screw around with and it gives you something to do when it’s 5 degrees outside.

Living here in Franklin Vermont I have had the good fortune to have seen for myself the process of making ice cider where it was originated in the eastern townships of Quebec. Cyroextraction is the process of allowing the fruit to freeze on the trees for a period of time where dehydration of the fruit increases the sugar (brix) concentration for a higher finished alcohol concentration. It is a craft done by so few cidery's due to the laborious task of harvesting in cold weather. Cyroextraction is the current method most used where as cider is pressed and allowed to freeze in large totes. During a winter thaw the consentrated syrup like juice is extracted with brix level readings of around 26 and the fermentation process of adding yeast begins. The whole process takes about 8 months to complete. Here in Vermont Eden Ice located in the Northeast Kingdom were the first folks to bring down from Quebec the fine art of producing Ice Cider. The rich fruity flavor and wine alcohol content is a delightful treat to drink during the Christmas holiday season.

I make some every year. My process is just freeze condensing though. I take a 5 gallon batch that’s already fermenting, leave it outside when temps are single digits, pull off and discard the ice. Usually end up with 2.5-3g of more concentrated cider with higher alcohol content. Fun process to screw around with and it gives you something to do when it’s 5 degrees outside.

I have done that after fermenting.

Appleman described the process that was explained to me.

I was talking to a guy from the Cider Guild at the state fair and he said the process started with guys in Quebec using apples that had frozen and thawed towards spring and that were still on the tree.

If I understand correctly, the present process is to press Cider and then freeze it, allowing it to thaw and freeze at normal late winter / spring cycle. Collect the liquid when slightly frozen to concentrate flavor. Then ferment.

He has some chestnut crab, ice cider I hope to try.

The process sounds some what similar to freeze distilling, but fermenting is done after freezing instead of before.

He is currently looking for 500-600 bushels of chestnuts.

I think I read that Galarina is one of the varieties that works well for making ice cider.

I think I read that Galarina is one of the varieties that works well for making ice cider.
One of the first to produce ice cider is at Domain Pinnacle located at the southern slope of Mount Pinnacle along the Vermont border with Quebec. From my orchard view, a few miles away, is a splendid scenic view of the Pinnacle along with several other Mountains located on both sides of the border. I know they use most table varieties like Macintosh, Spartans, and Cortland's. They may very well be using Galarina in their blends. My first introduction to this variety was made at the Agricultural Canada Research Center by researcher Monique Auedette. Most impressive the apples were still abundantly on the trees in early January.