I now have lakefront property

Peeps

5 year old buck +
I noticed a lot of water on my land including over 2 of my trails. At first I thought it was all the rain we have had but it kept rising. I did some exploring and found this beaver dam. Normally the stream is about 2 foot wide and maybe a foot deep. Now I have to figure out how to get rid of the beavers and their dam. C3949F85-6ED1-44E3-A410-7FBD2FD8CB8D.jpeg7E44C8CC-9195-41CC-B7A5-1BE10C8A0319.jpeg96DAC176-D3F9-4B36-A6E3-AAA6A331425B.jpeg4DEE4FE7-23AD-4ED6-AA38-55FC61FF624E.jpeg

Wow! That's crazy!

I've seen people try and demo the dams with tannerite. The immediate effects are a flash-flood.

Looks like they’ve been there a while

If you don't want the lake, you can put a PVC siphon over the dam to the stream below. They can't figure out how to repair that versus breaking the dam. Of course, if you like the lake, keep it!

well I don't know about fining them beavers HAHA!
but I do know many states have some rules on destroying beaver dams that can result in fines to those that remove them,or harm the beavers?

SO, I would make sure you know what you can and cannot do, before doing anything!

other wise like some have said, maybe enjoy the new change to the property, water is many time a GOOD thing to have, when dry times come and or for filling up sprayers, and well, it just holds a LOT of wildlife on your property!
I do know it sure sucks when them beavers decide to knock down tree's for what seems liek NO real reason
I once managed a farm that had a major issue with them, they would be 500 yards in the woods chewing on 200 yr old oak tree's
, which for the life of me, could never figure out WHY, when so many better tree's were closer to things
as time we used to joke, it was a few young males showing off, but they did ruin a LOT of timber on that property, so wasn't really funny!
and the state game dept wasn't much help if any! threatened us more than gave us any help!
so watch out what you do, and or HUMMM

maybe don;t post what you do , just saying!

I know a guy who did a thing to a beaver dam that involved a 4 inch pvc pipe with caps stuffed with cheap sparklers and attached to a waterproof fuse. Might be called a sprinkler bomb on da internet maybe

I noticed a lot of water on my land including over 2 of my trails. At first I thought it was all the rain we have had but it kept rising. I did some exploring and found this beaver dam. Normally the stream is about 2 foot wide and maybe a foot deep. Now I have to figure out how to get rid of the beavers and their dam. View attachment 30945

Peeps ... you are in Wisconsin, if their damn is on your property, you can pretty do anything you want to get rid of them. You can shoot, trap, blow them up ...

I have been dealing with them for years. Based on the size of that damn and the amount of wooded trees/shrub around the water, you have a big beaver family there. That damn looks to be 2 plus years old based on structure. What you tear down in 2 days, they will re-build in 4-5 days.

All I will say is wait until you start to try and dismantle the structure, they are amazing constructors. BTW... they never stop building and that damn will get bigger. They also work at night so daytime shooting them really not an option.

I have some info i can share if you are interested.

I have been opening a little one in the morning so water will run out all day and they fix at night.They are drying up my swap as they have built around the spring that feeds my swamp.I thought about putting a 10ft piece of 4 inch to see if they could dam it up has anyone tried that

I saw a video for Beirut today. Think that would do it.

Oooh boy... looked like that would take care of any of the neighbors beavers, and everything else withing a 12 mile radius too! That was wild!

The Robertson’s use dynamite. Might want to call uncle Si

Pretty tough in areas like that. What's there is what they want. I'd blow them up (if legal, or if it happens at night when you are sleeping) then bring in the trappers when they come back to rebuild. Removing all wood is what works, but not desirable in that type situation. Here's a dam that dwarfed my grandpa, who was 6'3". He felled more trees than any beaver in the county though.

2020-08-04_220411.jpg

How big is the property? Beavers can really improve spaces under the right circumstances. We had a huge beaver pond on a 300 acre property, and I wish we had another.

We call them beaver bafflers, a 4 inch corragated drainage pipe that is tied down in the pond. The dam is broke to the desired level, pipe ran through that down stream. Usually the beaver just build another dam below the outlet of the pipe. Lol.

I have a love hate with them. I have left them on one property as they have made the property better. On the other not so much. I just break a hole in the damn and sit watch before dark. They come out a little early when there is a hole in the damn. Buck shot works best but I have used my bow, .22, and 30.o6. Once you kill them the damn fizzles away in a couple years.

Here's the remnants of the beaver pond. I guess it's about 2 acres. It gives a great bit of diversity to an otherwise boring woods property. The dirt in the bog is excellent, but it's still a bit soggy, and the edges are rather abrupt. I need to dig a drainage swale and feather the edges. But it is used a lot by deer and other animals.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200805-133025.png
    Screenshot_20200805-133025.png
    500.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20200805-133017.png
    Screenshot_20200805-133017.png
    498 KB · Views: 31
I must have a large beaver family. I was with my son down in this spot this spring when he was trying to catch Creek chubs and the dam was not there. I spoke to the DNR yesterday and the lady wanted to help. She worked on the issue all day but the end result is I’m on my own as the creek is not a class I trout stream and the feds she contacted took a pass on the issue. She reccomended that I contact the county highway department as the creek goes under a county highway not too far down stream. Her coworker said that crossing has old inadequate culverts so I should push the county to hire trappers and remove the dam as if/when it fails it could ash out the road.

I’m interested in
Peeps ... you are in Wisconsin, if their damn is on your property, you can pretty do anything you want to get rid of them. You can shoot, trap, blow them up ...

I have been dealing with them for years. Based on the size of that damn and the amount of wooded trees/shrub around the water, you have a big beaver family there. That damn looks to be 2 plus years old based on structure. What you tear down in 2 days, they will re-build in 4-5 days.

All I will say is wait until you start to try and dismantle the structure, they are amazing constructors. BTW... they never stop building and that damn will get bigger. They also work at night so daytime shooting them really not an option.

I have some info i can share if you are interested.
I’ll take any info or advise you have. Thanks