I need to plant something

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
I am building on my hunting property, and I started off with building my shop/garage. Last summer I had enough space cleared for my house, and shop to be built, but I wont start building the house for another year, or 2, so I would like to plant something in the 1/2 acre size area where the house is going to go, right now it is just all dirt. I am sure the ph is low, and I dont plan to amend it, being it will all be torn up in a year or 2. I would like to have something planted there so it isnt all mud, and to prevent erosion. I dont think starting the grass is a good idea, because it will all be torn up anyhow. I was thinking some sort of clover, like White Dutch, but chances are that wont take until next summer anyhow. I dont think winter rye would be a good choice, because I really dont want a 5 foot tall area right next to my garage to attract rodents, and snakes.

More then likely the area will need to be brought up with fill, so I dont want to put money into amending the soil for a year or 2. So I am looking for thoughts? I did think of high sugar rye grass, since deer do eat it, and it grows easily, and since it will be most likely covered with fill, it shouldnt be an issue later, and if it does come through the fill, I dont care, because I am not a lawn guy that needs his yard to look pristine. Thoughts on what I should plant?

Plant buckwheat this Spring once the ground is warm enough. This fall spread a bushel an acre Winter Rye along with a few pounds (whatever the recommended seeding rate is) of some clover mix that includes a variety of red and white clovers. Next Spring, mow the Winter Rye if you want, or just leave it be. If all goes well you'll have a clover plot after that. I'd still run a soil sample just to know what it looks like. You *might* want to fertilize a bit to help the clover start.

And, now that I read your entire post, I see you don't want WR. How about wheat or oats? Some small grain to go along with it?

I would find a cheap "contractor's mix" grass seed and be done with it.

I would find a cheap "contractor's mix" grass seed and be done with it.

This was one of my thoughts, but in a year or two, it will be covered up with about 2 feet of fill, so that would for sure kill anything off, and the grass wouldnt really benefit any wildlife. I also thought about the wheat, or oats thing, and mix some clover in it this spring, and just see what becomes of it. I have never planted any buckwheat before.

This was one of my thoughts, but in a year or two, it will be covered up with about 2 feet of fill, so that would for sure kill anything off, and the grass wouldnt really benefit any wildlife. I also thought about the wheat, or oats thing, and mix some clover in it this spring, and just see what becomes of it. I have never planted any buckwheat before.

I figure if it's going to end up under 2 feet of fill any way...I want what is going to cost the least and require the least amount of work and time on my part. I don't think your going to stop the mice either way.

I’d go with a fast growing annual clover. You could even use a mix of Berseem and Frosty Berseem. The regular Berseem will die off with frost and the Frosty will still be utilized down to around 10 degrees. I know you said you don’t want WR but you could broadcast it into the clover in the fall and it won’t get very tall. You can mow it back in the spring and it won’t be 5’ tall. It will serve the wildlife well late into the winter and early Spring.

I seed a lot of my projects with winter rye along with grass seed. The WR starts growing in a few days. It acts like a cover crop for the slow to establish grass seed. When the wr gets about 8 -10 inches tall run the mower over it. It will stay growing until the grass is established.

I have no experience with Berseem clover, but we've used Alsike clover on new ground with bad pH. Alsike is good for less than ideal soil conditions, and it grew for us. That and some WR might be a good mix - or maybe add Berseem too. Like Ruskbucks said above, mow it in spring when it gets taller than you'd like. WR, Alsike, and Berseem would feed lots of deer until you start grading for the house.