I hate the rut.

I won't mess with AM

Why don't you hunt mornings?

I think he is talking about in September in general, not the rut. I tend to agree I would not mess with a.m. in September either. I will not mess with it until the 17th or 18th of October and even then will wait to our first mid October drop in temps.

Why? Based on the lack of sightings of mature bucks or a lot of bucks in the a.m. in early October and late September (when I season opens that early), I just don’t waste the time. It seems as thought the bucks are up most of the night and have bedded or are in impenetrable bedding habitat by the time the sun comes up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting. I find mornings extremely productive in Ohio. Especially early in the season.

Well all I know is that I hate auto correct.

Telemark,

Do you hunt close to where you think they will bed in early season, travel routes closer to the food or where? And, how early are we calling early season?

During the rut, when bucks start cruising, I find more mature bucks between 10:00am- 2:00pm. I do occasionally seem them in the early morning and right before dark but if I had to choose A time to hunt in that phase, I’d take my chances during that time.

Last edited:
I think he is talking about in September in general, not the rut. I tend to agree I would not mess with a.m. in September either. I will not mess with it until the 17th or 18th of October and even then will wait to our first mid October drop in temps.

Why? Based on the lack of sightings of mature bucks or a lot of bucks in the a.m. in early October and late September (when I season opens that early), I just don’t waste the time. It seems as thought the bucks are up most of the night and have bedded or are in impenetrable bedding habitat by the time the sun comes up.

My September morning experience is that I bump deer going in and don't see much. I'd rather poke one in a food plot in the PM when they have no idea I walked there. Just my preference based on my farm.

I see the same thing as Bill at our camp. Early morning, all we do is push the deer farther into the thick stuff. Being in a tree stand by 3:30 pm is a good way to pull off an ambush as deer come out to food plots & apple trees.

Around the 3rd week of October - here - bucks can usually be seen cruising & scent-checking / trailing does any time from first light to around 1:00 pm. I see the most nice bucks during that period from around 8:00 am to noon. Usually they have their nose to the ground and are moving along slowly. Most years I see this same behavior until about November 6th or so, and then chasing becomes more common. This year, it was just a bit later than normal.

All good points in that each farm and area is different. I am an idiot because my deer/bucks generally act the same way year after year. There isn’t much difference.

First day of season to about October 17 or 18 depending on when the first significant drop in temperature occurs. Mature bucks out in daylight are rare. It is nearly impossible to see one in the morning. They have gotten to a bed by daylight. It is possible to see one in the afternoon late in a food plot. The key is to watch the cameras. If temperature is low and you have him on camera today, he is probably going to be there tomorrow evening. Other than that it really is a waste of time to get in the woods. I always believe we do more harm than good hunting then because those deer have been in a few thousand acres of undisturbed habitat all year, and when you start hunting them they know it.

October 18 to 23, it can be hit or miss. You could see them morning or evening just about anywhere. In the oaks is good nearly anytime, and foodplots in the afternoon. But, if the temperature is normal or above normal they may just feed at night.

October 23 to 28th or 29th: This is the best time to kill a 5.5, 6.5 or 7.5 year old buck at my place. They are really up on their feet feeding morning and night. The key is to not over hunt a stand or plot. Generally, we go in to a particular stand only one time during this period.

November 1 to 10: The could be anywhere and it is really though to kill this time of the year. Too much ground and too unpredictable it is really all about luck then.

November 11 to 20th or 21st, lockdown and it is tough. The best time to catch one is between 10:30 am and 2:30 pm.

November 22 to December 1 they are starting to go back on food and corn is king. Hunt the edges of the corn fields.

The month of December I don’t like it generally.

Late season until season goes out is really good. Cold weather puts them in beans and corn. And, it is my second favorite time of the year to hunt and is the most productive when hunting a single buck. You can usually find him now.

Like you, WTNUT, I'm hoping for a food plot shot in late season if our regular rifle season doesn't get me a shot. They'll be back in our WR, WW, & brassicas. Early archery season is normally a good time to get them on a regular feeding schedule at plots, but early was way too hot the last few years. Sweat your tail off and bugs eat you alive - no fun.