I got no bees this year

Tap

5 year old buck +
Wasn't sure where to post this.
Last year at this time, I had literally thousands of honey bees. Mostly on my Balansa Clover.
I think I've seen TWO bees this year so far.
Anyone else seeing a crash this year?

Big crash around here. We lost 3 of 4 hives. Guy across street lost 2 of 3 and guy by my parents lost 17 of his 20 hives.

Nationwide their data shows a 33% loss in domestic bees.

I'm assuming I have "wild" bees. I don't think anyone has any hives close to me, but I don't know how far domestic bees range.
Bee loss has been a hot topic for quite a few years now. I've seen a roller coaster ride in their numbers. Just when they seem to be practically extinct one year, they rebound the next year with good numbers. This is a bad year here. Seeing them on the yard clover while mowing the lawn has always been a normal thing...not this year, though. Makes me value all of the other little bugs that pollinate. Honey bees aren't the only pollinators.
Side note...A few years ago during a down cycle of bees, we had almost zero bees at my place. But we found MILLIONS of them along the rivers nearby pollinating the hated Japanese Knotweed that overrun river banks. That's one thing I can say about Knotweed...Honeybees love it.

I just heard that beekeepers reported they lost about 20% of their hives this winter which is actually down from the last few years. This is nationwide so I'm sure there are some areas that may be worse than previous years. There is still a lot of concern. I believe they are shooting for something less than a 15% loss nationally.

Thanks,

Jack

I just heard that beekeepers reported they lost about 20% of their hives this winter which is actually down from the last few years. This is nationwide so I'm sure there are some areas that may be worse than previous years. There is still a lot of concern. I believe they are shooting for something less than a 15% loss nationally.

Thanks,

Jack

I don't know much about bees, but the keepers I know say if you can keep a hive for two to three years, your doing good. They also say they eat the honey over winter, and the bees stay in there non-insulated boxes over winter. To me that seems a little off. How can you harvest most of the honey and expect them to live through a Wisconsin winter regularly. Maybe I'm way off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen fewer bees in general this year. Even my bumble bee numbers seem to be lower. I have seen a few bumbles lately but not like some years.

No noticeable shortage of honeybees down my way in rural North FL.

That said, carpenter bees are also pretty decent pollinators and if anyone wants to capture them and take them to your place I'll gladly let you come get all you want for free. :emoji_smile:

I've got a dock that I'm worried will soon fall in if I don't get them under better control... and anyone willing to take them would help keep me from developing tennis elbow. When they first emerge from their tunnels in spring I swear walking down the dock reminds me of the scene where Clint Eastwood drives his bus through constant fire in the final scene from "The Gauntlet."

Gauntlet (1024x576).jpg

Last edited:
I don't know much about bees, but the keepers I know say if you can keep a hive for two to three years, your doing good. They also say they eat the honey over winter, and the bees stay in there non-insulated boxes over winter. To me that seems a little off. How can you harvest most of the honey and expect them to live through a Wisconsin winter regularly. Maybe I'm way off.

Those keepers are more focused on harvest production than bee health. A better idea is to leave lots of extra honey in the hive and harvest after winter... that way they have all the honey they need.

You have to leave enough for the bees to live all winter. they only harvest the surplus that the bees have made.

My beekeeper in Central WI had a minimal loss this winter. Two winters ago he lost 50% of his hives. He shipped a bunch of his hives with other keepers to the almond groves in California this winter. Kind of giving the bees a winter vacation to a warmer climate and giving them a pollinating job also.
I rolled up the windows on the Suburban when I drove past his 24 hives today. Last year some bees decided that my truck bothered them and stung me a couple of times.