I’m sure yall have done this before,

omicron1792

5 year old buck +
IMG_3021.jpegBut i cleaned and whitened my own skull plate from latest harvest.

IMG_2983.jpeg

I cut skull plate with a hacksaw. Then I removed skin, hair etc I could with a knife.

I used a large pot on the grill with oxyclean and some baking soda detergent. Let is simmer about 8-9 hours. I removed rest of tissue and blasted with hose. Then I used my dremmel to shape the plate a little.

IMG_3015.jpeg

Next I soaked in peroxide solution for about 6 hours. Dried with paper towel and let dry overnight.

IMG_3019.jpeg

I bought this skull plate hanger off Amazon. Comes in tomorrow. Looks cool for 19 bucks.

IMG_3022.png

Really about 30 minutes of actual work. I think I will do this with any deer I harvest from now on. After my trip to Africa I just have nowhere to put mounts these days.

My grand daughter killed a nice buck this year. My son spent a fair part of the day making a euro out of it. Got it all cleaned up looking good. Next day, his wife’s dog got out of its pen and chewed half the skull off the head. I am a little surprised that dog’s head is not now a euro. He didnt like that dog before that. Now he hates it.

View attachment 60765But i cleaned and whitened my own skull plate from latest harvest.

View attachment 60762

I cut skull plate with a hacksaw. Then I removed skin, hair etc I could with a knife.

I used a large pot on the grill with oxyclean and some baking soda detergent. Let is simmer about 8-9 hours. I removed rest of tissue and blasted with hose. Then I used my dremmel to shape the plate a little.

View attachment 60763

Next I soaked in peroxide solution for about 6 hours. Dried with paper towel and let dry overnight.

View attachment 60764

I bought this skull plate hanger off Amazon. Comes in tomorrow. Looks cool for 19 bucks.

View attachment 60766

Really about 30 minutes of actual work. I think I will do this with any deer I harvest from now on. After my trip to Africa I just have nowhere to put mounts these days.
My son goes to africa every couple of years. You can stack the trophies up in a hurry over there. -
Now, he just mostly cape buffalo and elephant hunts. He Says you get the africa experience and dont kill hardly anything but a cape buffalo. The savings in taxidermy costs almost pays for a bull elephant trophy fee - if you elect to kill one. Dont kill one - save the trophy fee.

My son goes to africa every couple of years. You can stack the trophies up in a hurry over there. -
Now, he just mostly cape buffalo and elephant hunts. He Says you get the africa experience and dont kill hardly anything but a cape buffalo. The savings in taxidermy costs almost pays for a bull elephant trophy fee - if you elect to kill one. Dont kill one - save the trophy fee.
My next one I do in 2025 will be Cape buffalo, water buck, eland, and a rhino green hunt. Will get replica rhino skull/horns, and do skulls and hides only on the others.

Those skull hooker mounts work pretty good for euro mounts. I especially like em for elk because with the way an elk rack rakes back you kind of have to get the skull off the wall a bit.

Looks good! I do something similar but instead of cleaning the skull up I just glue leather over it.

I’ve been just skull capping them like that for a while now. Did a half dozen or so euros, won’t ever get another mounted.

I just cap them, clean them up drill a center hole through the plate and hang them on the garage wall anymore.

I’ve been just skull capping them like that for a while now. Did a half dozen or so euros, won’t ever get another mounted.

I just cap them, clean them up drill a center hole through the plate and hang them on the garage wall anymore.
That is what I do for most of mine - back when I used to kill one. Special deer get a euro - and some even a shoulder mount

That is what I do for most of mine - back when I used to kill one. Special deer get a euro - and some even a shoulder mount
Yep, at my age for me getting anything at all mounted is money I could spend better elsewhere.
Still fun to look up on the wall at the racks big or small.

Yep, at my age for me getting anything at all mounted is money I could spend better elsewhere.
Still fun to look up on the wall at the racks big or small.
I spend money everyday that could be better spent somewhere else😅

When I first bought my place 20 years ago, we mounted a deer if it hit 125”. As we have managed the herd, that number has crept up to 140”. I feel like those bigger bucks we take off our own land deserve to be mounted and viewed daily. I am not as bad as my neighbor who owns 1200 acres. Three of us have permission to hunt it. His only rule is - kill anything legal - as long as you get it mounted. Not a lot of deer killed on his place.

I havnt used the reproduction skulls for shed antlers, some of them look pretty good. Only thing I can think of.
Yeah. That sucks. Could just do skull plate I guess. Ugh.

I spend money everyday that could be better spent somewhere else😅

When I first bought my place 20 years ago, we mounted a deer if it hit 125”. As we have managed the herd, that number has crept up to 140”. I feel like those bigger bucks we take off our own land deserve to be mounted and viewed daily. I am not as bad as my neighbor who owns 1200 acres. Three of us have permission to hunt it. His only rule is - kill anything legal - as long as you get it mounted. Not a lot of deer killed on his place.
It's a good rule that I practice on my farms. Makes people think twice before letting one fly, not a bad thing...

View attachment 60765But i cleaned and whitened my own skull plate from latest harvest.

View attachment 60762

View attachment 60763

View attachment 60764

View attachment 60766

Just bought one on your suggestion!

Just bought one on your suggestion!
Cool. I put it up today. Will send a pic later. My wife painted it gold. Ha. Was easy and it’s secure.

Nice! One thing occurred to me regarding your metal mount......is that the Cuddeback solar mounting brackets for my Cuddeback cameras have the adjustable angle and may provide the means to mount the Euro antler and skull caps. They are pretty low cost. Gotta take a better look at those mounts.

Edit: I just now looked at the suggested mount above on-line at the Cuddeback store. It may not work too well for this application....as it does not protrude far enough from the wall....IMO. Still.....may make a versatile means to mount some other things.

Last edited:
Nice! One thing occurred to me regarding your metal mount......is that the Cuddeback solar mounting brackets for my Cuddeback cameras have the adjustable angle and may provide the means to mount the Euro antler and skull caps. They are pretty low cost. Gotta take a better look at those mounts.

Edit: I just now looked at the suggested mount above on-line at the Cuddeback store. It may not work too well for this application....as it does not protrude far enough from the wall....IMO. Still.....may make a versatile means to mount some other things.
Love your ingenuity Fog!

These were 19.99 and had a 10% discount. Was 19 out the door shipped to my house arriving the next day. Cheap enough.

Is made of really nice thick iron. I’m impressed for the price.

I thought these were pretty cool looking.