All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Husqvarna vs. Stihl

Husky's are great saws and don't let anyone tell you different. Only problem I've seen is all the new Eco-friendly crap but replacing that stuff will give a great powerful saw. Whatever you buy the most important thing is to learn how to use it properly and how to maintain it. For example Husky's aren't a one pull start, you need to decompress and choke until fire then it is one pull. Mine always takes 3 total pulls because that is how they designed it. Also there's a lot more to maintenance then keeping a sharp chain so read up on it if you haven't already because a lot of guys get pissed at the saw when really they're the one to blame.

My neighbor has put me through cutting bootcamp the last few years! He just turned 70 and is out there almost every day, but he's not as comfortable standing and cutting in the bucket of his skidsteer, and gets tired a lot quicker than he used to. Pretty good planning on his part to teach me how to cut and keep the saws sharp! :)

I think an experienced cutter could take the crappiest brand saw and make it work great. Learn how to keep your bar maintained to, I do more work on my bar then I do with the chain. I file, straighten, debur and keep the gap true on the bar with various tools.

I think an experienced cutter could take the crappiest brand saw and make it work great. Learn how to keep your bar maintained to, I do more work on my bar then I do with the chain. I file, straighten, debur and keep the gap true on the bar with various tools.

I know I've still got a lot to learn. I definately need to work on how to maintain a bar. The chain is easy, as I find just sharpening whenever is needed based on the type of shavings that come out. Other than that I just avoid running it in the dirt (although I'll admit that I'm not flawless in this regard), and avoid rocks or any metal (you'd be surprised how many times we've run into wire that's been swallowed up by the tree, or a nail that was put in 30 years ago).

You got one Stihl already. Why would you want anything different. Yes you'll pay more but your going to be getting a lot better saw IMO.

x2