All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunting technology embrace or resist????

Jordan Selsor

5 year old buck +
I don't subscribe to any hunting magazines anymore due to the lack of content. I learn 100x more on here so dont miss them much however a fellow co worker left the Oct issue of bowhunter lying around at the station. I must admit I do like to check out the new products that come out every yr. Most I laugh at, some get my curiosity.
Here is a product that caught my eye. http://game-vector.com/?gclid=Cj0KE...qebtU7hLNRjFFMYJeXp1nJZskjACpr5dQcaAjZ-8P8HAQ

What you guys think? Kinda crazy how insane technology is becoming more affordable and easily attainable to the average blue collar guy. Rarely am I willing to be the ginny pig on new technology but I could see how this would be worth its weight in gold to an outfitter..

Reactions: gwm
Cant you just borrow the stations thermal imager for a couple hours???

I don't see how effective it will be being that it has to hook the animal as the arrow goes through. It would seem there'd be a high chance of it not working. I'd let someone else try it out for $400.00.

That looks like it could pass through if the arrow went through. I'm betting they got that figured out though, or they're saving it for the upgrade model next year. "NOW WITH ZERO PASS THROUGH!" I've been a user of improved technology as it's come about, not near cutting edge, but I'm not opposed to it. A goal of mine is to actually go backwards in use of technology as I become a better hunter. My goal before I take my dirt nap is to become proficient with my compound bow, then step back to a recurve, then to a traditional, and if I'm able, even hog hunt with a spear.

Lots of dreaming in there, but that's where my head's at.

Some new technology is well worth it, some not so much. Do you remember a few years ago when tecomate came out with the roll out food plot. Just had to laugh at that one.
http://www.rolloutfoodplot.com/index.html

How much money?

That looks like it could pass through if the arrow went through. I'm betting they got that figured out though, or they're saving it for the upgrade model next year. "NOW WITH ZERO PASS THROUGH!" I've been a user of improved technology as it's come about, not near cutting edge, but I'm not opposed to it. A goal of mine is to actually go backwards in use of technology as I become a better hunter. My goal before I take my dirt nap is to become proficient with my compound bow, then step back to a recurve, then to a traditional, and if I'm able, even hog hunt with a spear.

Lots of dreaming in there, but that's where my head's at.

I was thinking of going back to my recurve, but age has prevented that.

I still do not jump on the technology as much as I did at a younger age. I feel some of the technology is beyond what I call fair chase. Within the law, I do respect others choice to use that technology.

Some of the guys I hunt with in zone 1 have had a lever action day. They take to the woods with 32 specials and 30-30's for one day. Most guns are Father's or grandfather's guns. They have passed on deer , but I don't think have ever shot one on those days. In some cases they are party hunting which many of you oppose. Does not bother me since they do not abuse it.

I just hope my doctor never has to use one of these things on me....

What the Hell is that?

How much money?
They msrp at 400. Typically most products are priced below msrp on the open market. Bet these will be in the 350 range before you know it

What the Hell is that?

LOL Mo - I thought you were a man of the world.:D That is a "cornholer" that they sell to deer hunters. It's a corn "lag screw" that you drive into the ground........ I took this pic when I was in wally-world the other day.........

I think we are losing too much by embracing every new technology gizmo that comes along. I was just involved in a discussion with a group of people who were complaining about just about everything. one of their gripes was about the inequality of incomes. Yet every one of them had $400 dollar cell phones with $100 per month service contracts. Few of them were working what would be called "high" paying jobs. Several of them were not employed at all. Who makes the money on these new toys? Where does the money come from? Is a device actually a worthy tool? Or is it a crutch because we no longer want to work to be good at what we do?

In the case of the "Vector", I'd rather have a tracking dog.

Does anyone else remember the "Spiderwire" tracker? It was a spool of ultra fine thread that went inside an arrow and was attached to a barbed needle that was supposed to hook into the hide of an animal.

LOL Mo - I thought you were a man of the world.:D That is a "cornholer" that they sell to deer hunters. It's a corn "lag screw" that you drive into the ground........ I took this pic when I was in wally-world the other day.........

Yes, man of the world that you will never ever see BuckChaser and Cornholer in the same sentence ever again! That should be outlawed!

The more I think about it I could see guys taking retarded shots on big bucks just to get the tracker attached to them. Then they would have the 48-72hr window to try an stalk up on the buck and finish the job!
Prolly not a good thing for the hunting heritage. Just my gut feeling

The more I think about it I could see guys taking retarded shots on big bucks just to get the tracker attached to them. Then they would have the 48-72hr window to try an stalk up on the buck and finish the job!
Prolly not a good thing for the hunting heritage. Just my gut feeling

I agree!

Hows your bride doing?

Yes, man of the world that you will never ever see BuckChaser and Cornholer in the same sentence ever again! That should be outlawed!

Yep, I thought it was the funniest gimmick I had ever seen - except possibly for the roll out food plot. Wonder what will be next?

I agree!

Hows your bride doing?

She is good! Just got off the phone with her. Her official due date is Mon. Im on duty till Mon morning. I told her if she could time it tomorrow some time that would be great so I could use my 24 hr paid emergency leave haha. Dont think the lil rascal cares about my schedule though. I cant wait to see whether we get a boy or a girl. Think a girl would be a good addition to the family but healthy is all that matters ya know

She is good! Just got off the phone with her. Her official due date is Mon. Im on duty till Mon morning. I told her if she could time it tomorrow some time that would be great so I could use my 24 hr paid emergency leave haha. Dont think the lil rascal cares about my schedule though. I cant wait to see whether we get a boy or a girl. Think a girl would be a good addition to the family but healthy is all that matters ya know

Glad to hear she is good! You could borrow my old 59 IH grain truck and drive down some gravel roads for an hour if you want that little one out in a hurry! Worked for mine! Hahahahaha!