Hunting Shacks

mtholton

5 year old buck +
I've read through all the cabin/shack threads. Just curious if anyone has built anything new recently? Looking for ideas/inspiration! Cabin fever is setting in.

I've got a thread on another site from our build a couple of yrs ago but it's not a cabin exactly... it's a full scale house. I can post a link if you're interested in that sort of thing. I'm still adding to it with finishing the basement.

If a storm ever cleaned the farmhouse off my property . I'd think seriously about the two story tuff she'd at home depot

I have always liked the Pole barn (Shabin - shop/cabin) builds. I like the simplicity and functionality of them. I also like the security aspect of the shipping container uses as well - especially for those absentee land owners.

12x12 (3 stories). Overlooking creek in the back and soybean field for a front yard, so no yard to mow. Overlooking deer travel lanes on all sides.

PkF4YGMh.jpg

6gXYwcE.jpg

M57ECmY.jpg

3gKhuoq.jpg

Forgot to mention I love my Pella Windows.....:emoji_grimacing:

Do you wanna build something, or get it done and get back to hunting? 4 work days and I was moved in and operational. No electricity bill. Solar power, 12 volt everything, propane appliances, poop in bucket.

This was the buildout.

Day 1: Floor
Day 2: Power & wiring
Day 3: Wiring & propane
Day 4: Kitchen & move in

SD—can the cat check his E-Trade account from your cabin??

SD—can the cat check his E-Trade account from your cabin??
Real time brother. When DLTH got shelled, the cat was buying up blocks and selling Aug $20 calls like a boss.

^^^^^^^^^ BadAss cabin

bill

I like it’s all metal no maintenance and a garage on the end to boot ! Any problems with rodents underneath or break in from the locals ? Great cabin

I like it’s all metal no maintenance and a garage on the end to boot ! Any problems with rodents underneath or break in from the locals ? Great cabin
Neighbors are all good people. If there is gonna be trouble, it's gonna come from a ways away. I don't keep any theft-worthy stuff in there, and I leave my windows clear so any peepers can look in and see there's nothing worth stealing.

I love that attached garage. All the excess stuff can stay out there protected from the elements. It's a big part of my space saving design on the cabin side. It's priceless when it comes to getting dressed for hunting in cold weather. I had five people in there last year for rifle season.

Does the window happen to look down the clover trail?

Does the window happen to look down the clover trail?
No. I'm still trying to figure out how to grow clover in 8" of water. I'm bringing in the heavies this year to tackle that issue.

I need to learn about solar. I have no water or power. How can you get a good tv signal and powered from solar? I'm assuming a dish for tv, but the power looks great. Can you guide me as to where to learn about solar?

Solar isn't hard. Once you learn the language and dynamics of power (which I didn't know) it's easy. Before you go solar, you have to figure out if you can power all the things you want to power. You pretty much mount the panel and plug it in. The rest is just wiring and planning. Solar has limits, but it also has big advantages:

No electric bill
No hookup charges
No inflation
No power outtages

Figure out:

-What do I really need to power? Don't count things you use once per year, or things you might use "someday." Don't pay $800 just so you've got the option to run a dewalt charger in case you burn up a whole drill battery.
-What can I power differently? My heat, cooking, and fridge/freezer are all propane. The furnace is a passive heater. I use a ceiling fan (RV) to distribute the heat.
-What will I power, and how much juice does it take? Then you can figure out how much battery capacity you need. Anything that uses power will have a label on it somewhere that tells how many watts it pulls.

Some things you can't get in 12 volt. So I just run a small inverter right at the user. I have two of these on my TV shelf so I've got outlets for TV, DVD, and antenna.

1.PNG

As far as TV goes, just get a good antenna. Not much specifically geared to solar. They don't use hardly any power.

Solar isn't hard. Once you learn the language and dynamics of power (which I didn't know) it's easy. Before you go solar, you have to figure out if you can power all the things you want to power. You pretty much mount the panel and plug it in. The rest is just wiring and planning. Solar has limits, but it also has big advantages:

No electric bill
No hookup charges
No inflation
No power outtages

Figure out:

-What do I really need to power? Don't count things you use once per year, or things you might use "someday." Don't pay $800 just so you've got the option to run a dewalt charger in case you burn up a whole drill battery.
-What can I power differently? My heat, cooking, and fridge/freezer are all propane. The furnace is a passive heater. I use a ceiling fan (RV) to distribute the heat.
-What will I power, and how much juice does it take? Then you can figure out how much battery capacity you need. Anything that uses power will have a label on it somewhere that tells how many watts it pulls.

Some things you can't get in 12 volt. So I just run a small inverter right at the user. I have two of these on my TV shelf so I've got outlets for TV, DVD, and antenna.

View attachment 24301

As far as TV goes, just get a good antenna. Not much specifically geared to solar. They don't use hardly any power.
Thank you!

Ohhhh sd... what have you done? What would foggy think? :)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Now he's over here polluting the good people of yet another forum. The next thing he's going to do is start insulting people that drive orange tractors, and drunks.