Hunting, other than deer, on your property

This biggest deer we have around are 3 yr olds typically 125-140s. Ive killed the biggest ones ive known of for several years... Im just talking about getting them beyond that. Were lucky to have 3 or 4 bucks at 3 yrs old in about 5-6 square miles. They are the biggest ones around. I can keep off our land, plant the plots, etc etc... but its a rare year where one gets to 4 or 5 yrs old. Or maybe I should say it doesnt seem to be any more common, since weve left our property as a sanctuary. Its frustrating. I hope this year i eat my words... as I know the biggest 3 yr old is still alive as of this morning :emoji_smirk:

There are a lot of pheasants now. I will say that! And I will crush the coyotes and hopefully a turkey. So I cant act like all has been lost. I guess I wouldnt be doing it if i wasnt having fun. It would just feel good having the satisfaction that its worth it!

If you kill the 125-140s 3 year olds every year, you are part of the problem, if you want 4+, you can't kill the 3s.

I use my property all the time, it is only 30 acres and although I only deer, turkey and squirrel hunt there my primary focus is on deer with what I plant. I have planted things that benefit Turkey, birds, butterflies and my bees but even most of that deer will use as cover, browse and eat the berries. I made my daughter a swing roughly 25' tall and she takes our dog for walks up there all summer and I am constantly working up there throughout the summer and winter after deer season. About a month before Bow season starts I try to have the work done (yeah right, its never 100% done lol) and we stay out for anything unnecessary. Hanging stands would be the only exception. Deer seem used to our activity and although everything I have planted is still young I don't have anything I would call a sanctuary, I don't see anything for miles around me that is secluded or thick enough to be considered one either. My neighbors are all farmers so maybe that weighs in on the equation more than I recognize.

This biggest deer we have around are 3 yr olds typically 125-140s. Ive killed the biggest ones ive known of for several years... Im just talking about getting them beyond that. Were lucky to have 3 or 4 bucks at 3 yrs old in about 5-6 square miles. They are the biggest ones around. I can keep off our land, plant the plots, etc etc... but its a rare year where one gets to 4 or 5 yrs old. Or maybe I should say it doesnt seem to be any more common, since weve left our property as a sanctuary. Its frustrating. I hope this year i eat my words... as I know the biggest 3 yr old is still alive as of this morning :emoji_smirk:

There are a lot of pheasants now. I will say that! And I will crush the coyotes and hopefully a turkey. So I cant act like all has been lost. I guess I wouldnt be doing it if i wasnt having fun. It would just feel good having the satisfaction that its worth it!

We should start a coyote thread when deer season is over. I have some real coyote problems the last few years.

We should start a coyote thread when deer season is over. I have some real coyote problems the last few years.

I'm building a coyote merry-go-round.

lOcAuKU.jpg