Hunting Land Insurance

kl9

5 year old buck +
I'm wondering how many of you have hunting/recreational land insurance. For those that do, is there a general price/acre/month?

I asked my insurance gal about that and she said we were covered on up to 500 ac. (I think) under our home insurance. That is unless you have buildings or other things of value you want to cover.

I think November is talking in some sort of code!

This is what is on the Permission Form provided by the Indiana DNR. I also carry an additional policy for the agricultural practices on my place as well.

permission.jpg

Seems Indiana law may be a little better than Wisconsin. I believe if you receive over a maximum amount a year in hunting lease fees the Wisconsin law doesn't cover you...didn't see a limit like that in what jbird posted.

I'm wondering how many of you have hunting/recreational land insurance. For those that do, is there a general price/acre/month?

I carry it on all of my land (million) plus another million dollar umbrella. We own the insurance agency. It is relatively inexpensive.

It's just what is on the land access permission slip that the DNR publishes. In IN you are to have WRITTEN permission on you at all times while accessing private land. That really isn't enforced, but the form as a whole is a pretty good one as it has lots of good information for the hunter and landowner to have. I used one when I was getting permission to waterfowl hunt - it seemed to sway some of those that may have been on the fence as it showed I was prepared and serious about doing things the right way.

The just of it is simple - your doing normal outdoor things on private land and something happens the land owner isn't liable - unless proven otherwise. IN has less than 3% public ground so this was used to help ensure folks would be able to have access to private ground. Some folks still use "fear of being sued" as a reason for not granting access - it's an excuse, but you can't force someone to allow you access.

covered under home insurance.