HT 2024 trail cam contest prize build

tooln

5 year old buck +
I am fortunate that Bill has once again asked me to build a knife for the trail cam contest prize. I do plan to post along the way of the build so please follow along. I have an idea or 2 on what to build but I am open to your guys thoughts. You never know, you just may have an idea that works and you could possibly be helping to design a knife you could win. As always I will take no part in the voting, which is hard to do as there are always so many great pics or videos. A BIG thanks goes out to Bill for sponsoring the contest and allowing me the freedom on the builds. Don't forget to enter and please follow along.

tooln, what about a cleaver? Is something like that possible? I always thought having an old school heavy meat cleaver in my butchering kit would be so cool! 😊

tooln, what about a cleaver? Is something like that possible? I always thought having an old school heavy meat cleaver in my butchering kit would be so cool! 😊
Will keep it in mind.

Took some time out of the shop today to do a sketch. I plan to make a pair of knives for this year's prize. One will be a mini hunter, it's my most popular model. For the other I asked for suggestions. T-Max suggested a cleaver, which I've never made before but don't see any issues doing one. I have a few others that I sketched out to give you guys some options. The Mini Hunter and the Benjamin are made from 1095 high carbon. The Chef's & Cleaver would be made in Stainless. Again the options are wide open for the 2nd knife, but the first will be the Mini as it's an all around good knife. It will be a while before I start making them but if you have an idea don't hesitate.

Edit: dimensions are approximate and take into mind I can't draw worth a crap. 20240605_155535.jpg

Those all look like great options to me!

What about a nice filet knife? Do you make anything like that?

Those all look like great options to me!

What about a nice filet knife? Do you make anything like that?
I've made a few, actually made one for Bill. Not a true fillet knife as it won't be as thin or as flexible as a store bought.
20220116_111640.jpg20220617_121529.jpg

I would vote for Benji. My edc is a folder with a similar, but smaller blade. On second thought the mini would be my vote....

but really, I don't want any of them. I would just lose it. If it is more than $30 I will lose it within two years. If it's less than $30 it sticks around for life.

Come on guys, only 2 suggestions. I'm open for them.

I like the Fillet knives. But I'm partial to that style.

Another vote for a fillet knife. 👍

I might would have suggested a skinning knife, but that mini-hunter design you shared already has a fairly short and upswept blade design so probably best to go with another option a bit more different.

@Bill , been so busy this year I haven't noticed if the contest has kicked off yet. If not hope you can allow first month postings to include any offerings from earlier in 2024 versus just prior month as have a few interesting captures!

Also would appreciate it if a formal declaration on videos offerings might be made. I've shared some in past but asked they NOT be considered due to thinking it just a photo contest. Honestly, as much as I love videos, even if allowed I think a ground rule like, "10 second max clip from a single video file" would be best fitting with contest. As much as I like putting compilation videos together, they're admittedly a whole different ball of wax I just don't see as fitting with the straightforward spirit of the contest.

How about a grafting knife?

Another vote for a fillet knife. 👍

I might would have suggested a skinning knife, but that mini-hunter design you shared already has a fairly short and upswept blade design so probably best to go with another option a bit more different.
The Mini Hunter makes for a great skinner.

Last edited:
@Bill , been so busy this year I haven't noticed if the contest has kicked off yet. If not hope you can allow first month postings to include any offerings from earlier in 2024 versus just prior month as have a few interesting captures!

Also would appreciate it if a formal declaration on videos offerings might be made. I've shared some in past but asked they NOT be considered due to thinking it just a photo contest. Honestly, as much as I love videos, even if allowed I think a ground rule like, "10 second max clip from a single video file" would be best fitting with contest. As much as I like putting compilation videos together, they're admittedly a whole different ball of wax I just don't see as fitting with the straightforward spirit of the contest.

Just kicked off as a May/June thing. But earlier pics would be OK since we ended last years in January and I'm always forgetting to restart it... I'd like to keep it to pictures though. Keeps an even playing field.