how to store seeds?

eclipseman

5 year old buck +
All,
My coop randomly runs out of suppliers through out the year so I would prefer to buy my seed now to ensure I have it for my fall crop. These crops will be planted in mid august (brassicas) and others in September (rye/clover). This seed comes in a plastic bag with a ziptie. How should it be stored until used? What if I have some left over, can I store it for next year? thanks!

Store in a cool dry area. Be careful with some seed, such as WR, as it may have moisture in it that requires it to breath. You will probably only find last seasons WR at this time of year until this years crop are harvested.

Store in a cool dry area. Be careful with some seed, such as WR, as it may have moisture in it that requires it to breath. You will probably only find last seasons WR at this time of year until this years crop are harvested.
good to know. They tend to always have winter rye but the different brassicas and clover they run out randomly through out the year, so I want to buy it ahead of time for sure. Would you recommend to wait for "this years rye"? What about brassica? I'm NY as an FYI.

Personally I prefer WR fresh that season. There are good online seed companies with reasonable prices for the other seed mixes you are considering. You could look into
Ernst seed or Welters and order the brassicas when you need them..

Personally I prefer WR fresh that season. There are good online seed companies with reasonable prices for the other seed mixes you are considering. You could look into
Ernst seed or Welters and order the brassicas when you need them..
thanks. What do you think of this ? https://www.ernstseed.com/product/fall-sweets-wildlife-mix/?anchor=3

that mix contains some other forms of Rape and turnip than I was going to get. Not sure if that is a good thing or not. Should I just order the PPT, Dwarf Essex RAPE, and daikon Radish on their own or do you think this mix sounds pretty good? Thanks for the site by the way. That is pretty awesome!

Last edited:
I store my seed in the bags I buy them in - most tend to be the poly bulk bags so they "breathe" to some extent. Anything that comes in a sealed container I can re-seal or put in like zip-lock type bags. I then place those bags in something that will keep the mice and bugs out. I tend to use a large poly trash can. I then keep them in the basement where it's cool and dry or in a garage or barn that again is dry but doesn't freeze. I have kept corn and soybean seed to brassica and clover that way.

thanks. What do you think of this ? https://www.ernstseed.com/product/fall-sweets-wildlife-mix/?anchor=3

that mix contains some other forms of Rape and turnip than I was going to get. Not sure if that is a good thing or not. Should I just order the PPT, Dwarf Essex RAPE, and daikon Radish on their own or do you think this mix sounds pretty good? Thanks for the site by the way. That is pretty awesome!

First ... how many plots and how large are they?

First ... how many plots and how large are they?
2 plots. Both are 2 acres but half is in clover so 1 acre a piece in brassica.

My left over radish and turnips from last summer went into 2 gallon zip locks then the chest freezer. No doubt I'll use it this year.

For Large seed I have used trash cans with the lid duct taped around the seam to seal out as much moisture as possible.

2 plots. Both are 2 acres but half is in clover so 1 acre a piece in brassica.

Buying seed mixes tend to be more expensive than buying the individual seed and making your own mix. But for just one acre it won't really make a difference. For brassicas you normally do 5-6 lbs per acre and the bag should tell you the seeding rate. Stay close to the recommended rate and don't overseed and you will get better plant & bulb growth with less crowding.

Buying seed mixes tend to be more expensive than buying the individual seed and making your own mix. But for just one acre it won't really make a difference. For brassicas you normally do 5-6 lbs per acre and the bag should tell you the seeding rate. Stay close to the recommended rate and don't overseed and you will get better plant & bulb growth with less crowding.
thanks. My concern with that mix was not related to money but rather the types of turnips and rape they use that I have not heard of and differ from what most use such as PPT. What are your thoughts on that?

thanks. My concern with that mix was not related to money but rather the types of turnips and rape they use that I have not heard of and differ from what most use such as PPT. What are your thoughts on that?
Paja and Appin turnips are forage turnips so most of their growth is geared towards above ground growth not bulbs. The PTT's are more towards bulb production so 80% of that mix is geared towards greens not bulbs. So it depends on what you're looking for. I personally want more bulbs for winter food.

Paja and Appin turnips are forage turnips so most of their growth is geared towards above ground growth not bulbs. The PTT's are more towards bulb production so 80% of that mix is geared towards greens not bulbs. So it depends on what you're looking for. I personally want more bulbs for winter food.
Yeah, my thinking is similar. I was thinking of doing a PPT, Groundhog/Daikon Radish, and Essex Rape mix. something like 40% PPT, 40% Radish, and 20% Rape. What % do you do?

Many of us here refer to the pre-mixed bag seeds as "BOB" ... or buck-on the-bag seed mixes. :emoji_relaxed: These companies take common seeds (turnips, clovers, etc.) and give them names such as rack master clover or trophy bone brassicas. They are typically renaming common seed so the newbie food plot person thinks they are getting something special and can't see that they are actually paying more

As Scott mentioned above there are appin & barkant turnips which are forage turnips and produce more green forage and purple top which put more energy in bulb growth. I have used all with pretty good results but don't typically see browsing until the cold weather comes in.

Another good option is ground hog radish. Both GHR & PPT have a shorter maturity cycle than the others mentioned above.

My approach has been to always mix clovers, turnips, brassicas, & radishes, and then over seed in the fall with WR. You should still add some clover when planting the turnips as it will green up in the spring and affix nitrogen. Note that when mixing, you need to cut the seeding rate for each by how many types you are planting ... turnip/radish mix would be 50% of the normal seeding rate for each.

Many of us here refer to the pre-mixed bag seeds as "BOB" ... or buck-on the-bag seed mixes. :emoji_relaxed: These companies take common seeds (turnips, clovers, etc.) and give them names such as rack master clover or trophy bone brassicas. They are typically renaming common seed so the newbie food plot person thinks they are getting something special and can't see that they are actually paying more

As Scott mentioned above there are appin & barkant turnips which are forage turnips and produce more green forage and purple top which put more energy in bulb growth. I have used all with pretty good results but don't typically see browsing until the cold weather comes in.

Another good option is ground hog radish. Both GHR & PPT have a shorter maturity cycle than the others mentioned above.

My approach has been to always mix clovers, turnips, brassicas, & radishes, and then over seed in the fall with WR. You should still add some clover when planting the turnips as it will green up in the spring and affix nitrogen. Note that when mixing, you need to cut the seeding rate for each by how many types you are planting ... turnip/radish mix would be 50% of the normal seeding rate for each.
Thanks for the info. I planted brassica last year and the deer were in it way before a frost. I used fridgid foraged "Big n Beasty" mix. I was thinking of doing as you suggested above. Mixing my own. I currently have about half of my 2 food plots in clover. Each food plot is about 2 acres in size. The other half of the plots would be the brassica mix I chose or mix myself. Is it still worth throwing clover into the mix of brassica since I already have some clover plots going? I am open to trying anything so please guide me. I wanted to also plant some rye. What I originally was thinking was doing about .5-.75 acre brassica mix and then the last .25-.5 acre in rye/clover. Instead should I just mix them all together? If so, please help with seeding rates for the mix for an acres worth. I would like to do PPT, Ground Hog Radish, Rape as my brassica mix and then some rye and clover (not sure on what type clover here). Thanks!

Elclipse ... at this point you are starting to lose focus, I assume you are a hunter not a farmer. Time for you to go prep your land and plant some seed ... they are no guartees from this website ... you will learn like all of us by trial and error.

Spend more time prepping for the hunt ... good luck!

I usually get my WR early as well. I can usually talk the coop manager into selling me last year's WR for around 1/2 price. Germination rates are much higher than 50% so I just up the rates accordingly.

Cool and dry as others said, but don't forget to protect it. I use large plastic bins to keep mice an other rodents out. I put them on dollies so I can wheel them around the barn as needed.

Thanks,

Jack

Elclipse ... at this point you are starting to lose focus, I assume you are a hunter not a farmer. Time for you to go prep your land and plant some seed ... they are no guartees from this website ... you will learn like all of us by trial and error.

Spend more time prepping for the hunt ... good luck!
Hmm not sure how asking a question about mixing seeds together and seeding rates is loosing focus but thanks anyways

Hmm not sure how asking a question about mixing seeds together and seeding rates is loosing focus but thanks anyways

:emoji_relaxed: Because I think I have answered those questions. Again, you should reduce the recommended seeding rate for each bulb type (turnips, radish, etc.) by the # of each you are planting. . . typically reducing each by 50% avoids crowded plants & stunted growth. This also allows for addition of Rape & clover.

Clover is always important to add to any food plot as it greens up early in the spring and provides food for does who are nursing fawns.

My comment on hunting is to look at it from a hunting perspective. If you plant each plot in a separate seed type, it can impact where and how you hunt and deer may be on one plot because of what they prefer. Wind conditions, if you bow hunt, may put you on a plot where the deer are not showing up on. If you segregate plantings, one half of the plot may become preferred and may be out of range of your bow stand. That is why I mix my plantings.