How to remove walleye rib cages (new way)

SD51555

5 year old buck +
Hey team,

Given I haven't been up to my land since I planted, I thought I'd throw out a random topic that I haven't had much traction with in my fishing group. I made a youtube video on how I remove rib cages from walleye that saves all the belly meat and removes the pin bones in one piece. What do ya think?

When I fillet fish I cut over the rib cage leaving it attached to the skeleton. This takes a little more time but gives me a nice boneless fillet. I never felt like I was wasting much meat, am I?

Great video! I'll have to give that a try in Canada this year.

-John

Great video! I'll have to give that a try in Canada this year.

-John

Thanks for sharing.

When I fillet fish I cut over the rib cage leaving it attached to the skeleton. This takes a little more time but gives me a nice boneless fillet. I never felt like I was wasting much meat, am I?
The hard part about that way is that you have to cut through those small pin bones next to the rib cage or go up over them and you could miss some meat along the rib bones. The other down side to that is it if you cut through them, you'll dull your knife faster.

I'm not saying my way is the premier way. I just wanted to share an alternative method that I found, for me, that preserves the meat yield and the edge on my knife a little better.

The missing link in that video is that I used an electric to get the fillet off the fish. I use both knives when cleaning walleye.

The missing link in that video is that I used an electric to get the fillet off the fish. I use both knives when cleaning walleye.

After filleting a two man limit of channel cats by hand last year :mad: I got an electric knife. Haven't used it yet though.

Your video was good. Another fish filleting video that I like is this one. I think I'm sold on an electric knife and I haven't even used one yet. :)

After filleting a two man limit of channel cats by hand last year :mad: I got an electric knife. Haven't used it yet though.

Your video was good. Another fish filleting video that I like is this one. I think I'm sold on an electric knife and I haven't even used one yet. :)

Just don't buy one with a coiled chord. I'm ready to throw mine out the window. You get two feet of slack then you've got tension.

Anybody ever see the "unzip your fish" video? I tried it a few times on pike, but could never master it. Think if I did a few dozen I may eventually get the hang of it
Looked for it on youtube. Couldn't find it.

Anybody ever see the "unzip your fish" video? I tried it a few times on pike, but could never master it. Think if I did a few dozen I may eventually get the hang of it
I don't know if I've seen that particular one but I probably have as I've tried all sorts of things on pike. I think the best method for me was the one where you make 5 boneless fillets, 2 from each side and one from the top. IMO pike are one of the best eating fish.

Just don't buy one with a coiled chord. I'm ready to throw mine out the window. You get two feet of slack then you've got tension.
Just ran out to the garage and checked on the one I have but haven't used, it's a straight cord!! :D

I have no idea if the video is on youtube or not. I had it on VHS :oops:

Pike are good eating, but the y-bones suck. I agree with you bueller, doing them that way is probably the easiest. I wanted to learn how to do them in one piece so I could bring a few home from Ontario.

http://www.cleanafish.com/clean-fish.html

What is VHS? :D