How to kill thistle and still TNR

tbarile

5 year old buck +
So I TNM/sprayed a brassica mix in the middle of July, unfortunately I used 24D with my usual glyphosate and it prevented my seeds from germinating. I just checked it again as we had ran a week ago and the only thing that has sprouted up is thistle. How can I get rid of the thistle and plant brassica again in the next week or so? My ground is very sandy so it typically works if I roll it in, I just need/want to get rid of the thistle first. Thanks for the replies.

When it’s you a dose of glyphosate should kill it.

Deep rooted thistle would probably do your sandy soil a lot of good. If its the same kind I have deer also like it. I'd probably just try and grow it with some brassicas. Doesn't it look like a brassica itself?

Can you mow it? 2-4D usually has about a 15-30 day window for planting , depending on which one you used. If you sprayed mid July, you should be good to go by now. I’d broadcast your seed and then mow the thistle then pack it in right before a rain.

Can you mow it? 2-4D usually has about a 15-30 day window for planting , depending on which one you used. If you sprayed mid July, you should be good to go by now. I’d broadcast your seed and then mow the thistle then pack it in right before a rain.

the thistle is too short for the bush hog to hit it.

Deep rooted thistle would probably do your sandy soil a lot of good. If its the same kind I have deer also like it. I'd probably just try and grow it with some brassicas. Doesn't it look like a brassica itself?

I haven’t noticed my deer ever eating thistle but I could be wrong.

He meant young.

I can make myself look like an idiot all by myself. I sure don’t need my phones auto correct helping me...

haha. Thanks!

clopyralid will smoke all thistle as well as any legume. Brand name transline or generic clopyralid 3

I haven’t noticed my deer ever eating thistle but I could be wrong.

I believe what i have is sow thistle.....Like with most warn season plants it gets utilized at certain time periods during the summer. I see it browsed a good bit though

clopyralid will smoke all thistle as well as any legume. Brand name transline or generic clopyralid 3

does that have a residual effect? I want to plant brassica ASAP. Thanks

It may have some residual for legumes you’ll have to check the label. You should be ok for a brassica planting