How to eradicate Johnson grass

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
It seems as though Missouri has waged war on it. I have been thinking about launching an air strike. What is the best way to eradicate it from an area if possible. I have a 20 acre field that is full of it and have a lot of creek banks with it in there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

War of attrition...you have to wear it down and it will likely take numerous chemical applications. You might also consider whether the Johnson grass has perhaps developed herbicide resistance to chemicals like glyphosate. Gramaxone might be a better option to drop the hammer the first go-round. Also take care mowing and moving seed from one spot to the next on your mower deck...once it gets started it easily spreads.

Tough stuff! I've sprayed, and sprayed, and sprayed. It always comes back. Creeks SUCK because seed comes from upstream every time it rains. Seed can stay dormant for a very long time and the rysomes never seem to die, just the topgrowth.

I'm learning good management with cattle. They eat the stuff and with the right rotations you can plan foodplots/cover that helps with hunting. Plus cow tastes good!

An electric fence is all you need. This can also be used to fence off some RR beans which can aid in your hunting plans...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

You figure it out - you let me know!!!! I have found you can only contain it. It spreads easily and is impossible to my knowledge to eradicate. You can only fight it and push it back.....turn your back on it and it can/will explode! I have a bottom that floods due to a stream and I spend countless hours mowing, spraying and otherwise cursing it. Also be careful with your equipment that you are not contributing to it's spread to other parts of your property, by washing and cleaning your equipment after you have had your confrontations with it.

I have been spraying with plateau and crop oil.It is doing a good job so far.Also check with your county noxious weed departments or USDA offices.I was able to save 55.00 per gallon by getting it from county noxious weed.

War of attrition...you have to wear it down and it will likely take numerous chemical applications. You might also consider whether the Johnson grass has perhaps developed herbicide resistance to chemicals like glyphosate. Gramaxone might be a better option to drop the hammer the first go-round. Also take care mowing and moving seed from one spot to the next on your mower deck...once it gets started it easily spreads.

The mower deck reminder is a good one. I know better, but dang I am the worlds worse at not cleaning it off after mowing a field with JG in it.

Outrider chemical.

Last edited:
I need to get me some, but :eek::eek::eek:$$$ 20oz for $360!!!!
It kills me to buy it, but it is the best results With JG that I have had.

I can do several acres with a gallon of plateau for 150.00

I like the airstrike idea! Possibly a nuclear strike may work. It is an uphill struggle in my area also. I'm to the point that I consider it a victory if it's still there but not spreading. I would love to try the outrider but 360.00 bucks for a medium size drink cup of chemical is not feasible for me right now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My struggle is killing it and not killing everything else. I have it in my NWSG as well as some other areas as well. I need to get a wiper for my tractor for one case in particular where I can mow it and then wait for it to bounce back and let the additional height be it's downfall, but the NWSG pose some real challenges - I think the outrider will not kill my switch, but plateau will......I can only hope to control it. I have also found that deer like to bring it to me as well. In my bottom area I have it every place deer tend to enter my property.....guess i just have to kill the deer!:D

It kills me to buy it, but it is the best results With JG that I have had.

Tell us some more about the results please and how long it took?

I used plateau in NWSG ,I'm sure it had some switch but was mostly big and little blue and had no issues.I read on label where you can use as pre emergent for NWSG.Don't remember reading any warnings on switch.I liked journey also but they quit making it

This is a little off topic but my wife takes care of our front yard at home. Somehow, it became infested with yellow nutsedge and crabgrass. I had nothing to do with the crabgrass, but you can bet the farm that I brought the yellow nutsedge in from the farm. The yard lays wet often anyway so she had a great crop that I thought I was going to have to kill with Basagran or it's new replacement product. Before I could get to it she used BAYER's crabgrass and weed killer - which is 2-4D and quinclorac. Man did it wipe out the yellow nutsedge!!!! It is not listed as controlled plant on the quinclorac label and that product may kill clover, but it is worth keeping in mind.

Tell us some more about the results please and how long it took?

I have used it in my WSNG fields several times. (BB, Indian, Switch, LB, side oats) and have had 100% kill. It does brown within a few days. If I spray before heading I have had no re-appearance, or very little, the following year. Hope that helps, and yes I only buy it when I have a larger patch that seems impossible to control. Good luck!

Glyphosate is still, by far, your most economical option. Yes there is some resistance but it's not widespread in Johnsongrass. Spray it in the fall if you want the best kill and then spray it again the next summer. Don't skimp on your rate. Use a 2 qt/a rate.