How to cut this...suggestions?

shawnv

5 year old buck +
I have a couple large poplar that are wind broke like a hinge cut (little holding wood) but 8 feet up and are hung up on another tree. How do you approach situations like this safely.

Flag for safety and wait for it to fall.

If you have a winch, you could pull it off the stump to get the base resting on the ground. Then I might try rolling it with a cant hook or peavey and see if it falls loose from the other tree to the ground.

If you have a tractor, I'd pull it off the stump, get a better hold on it and pull down out.

I'll add that you need to be very careful getting a chain or cable on it while still on the stump. And mindful of whether it is going to tighten or loosen as it drops from the stump to the ground. Think it through before doing.

Last edited:
Tractor and long chain to rip it down

I have a couple large poplar that are wind broke like a hinge cut (little holding wood) but 8 feet up and are hung up on another tree. How do you approach situations like this safely.
I had same thing this year giant popple big girth and canopy . Broke off midway and just hanging over my access trail.
I had ABC tree service Eau Claire area down doing TSI and small Clear cut Trempealeau property. He just walked up and cut . These guys know there business (running saws). I cut plenty myself but something like this Is not worth risk. Might want to consider. These guys very reasonable if you ever need some TSI work also. They do what takes me 2 weeks in a day.
On a side note that tree was hanging perfect off ground for deer there was 4 huge scrapes in a circle under it .

Last edited:
I had same thing this year giant popple big girth and canopy . Broke off midway and just hanging over my access trail.
I had ABC tree service Eau Claire area down doing TSI and small Clear cut Trempealeau property. He just walked up and cut . These guys know there business (running saws). I cut plenty myself but something like this Is not worth risk. Might want to consider. These guys very reasonable if you ever need some TSI work also. They do what takes me 2 weeks in a day.
On a side note that tree was hanging perfect off ground for deer there was 4 huge scrapes in a circle under it .

Good to know, thanks! I do have some trees to cut that are probably beyond my experience level

If you were to pull on it with a tractor or something... Consider a "fusable link"... Don't hook up with the biggest chain you have and hope for the best. Put a short length of smaller chain near the tractor. If things go bad, the small chain will break. You don't want to go for a ride if it falls the wrong way.

-John

Getting close with the tractor is not an option but I may be able to with the atv once the snow melts and attach a rope to extend the winch.

notch the tree it is leaning against, and cut about 2" holding wood or less pending your ability to judge the tree. then go and cut off the poplar and let it take down both trees. You have to be the judge of the situation and/or hire someone to take out the widow maker. either that or stay clear for a growing seaon

shawn- call me up and i'll take of it!

shawn- call me up and i'll take of it!

I haven't looked at it really since fall so I'll be checking to see if it moved much since then and go from there.