How much seed in a mixture?

EarthySpirit

5 year old buck +
I plan to plant two of my new plots (first time for both) in a mixture of rye and white clover (dutch). First, how much per acre should I do of each if I were doing them by themselves? And do you half them when mixing together? Thanks everyone for the help

What is your seeding method? And just curious, why Dutch white?
White clovers are 2-4 pounds per acre stand alone and 1-3 in a mix, but I usually seed heavier.
Rye is 80-100 lbs stand alone.

For first time plots especially, I would not plant in the spring (can't tell you plan from your post). I would spend this spring summer controlling weeds. If you want to plant them in the spring, buckwheat is tolerant of poor soil until the amendments you are applying according to your soil test have time to work. Buckwheat will outcompete many weeds and improve the soil. It is a short term crop (60 - 90 days) and deer use it. They generally don't abuse it. If you can't get buckwheat to grow well it tells you something.

As for seeding rates, I like to shoot for between 60 and 100 lbs per acre of winter rye and about 10 lbs/ac of clover. It works with a pretty wide window. I would not plant clover without the nurse crop of WR. Perennial clover spend a lot of time putting down a root system. This give lots of room for weeds to invade. If you did plant them separately, the rates would be about the same. WR and clover don't really compete.

When you plant them in the fall, clover does little more than germinate. The winter rye pops up quickly. Young tender WR is the attractant the first fall. Deer love it when it is young. When spring rolls around, the WR takes off. It gets a bit more mature and is less attractive to deer. It takes up space that weeds would otherwise use. It also has a chemical effect (allopathic) on weeds preventing many weed seeds from germinating. At this point, the clover is using most of its energy putting down the root system. In a few weeks it begins to put on more top growth. When the WR hits about a foot tall, it is important to mow it back to 6 to 8 inches. This releases the clover letting more light get to it. You may have to mow a couple times that first spring. The WR will die naturally and the clover will fill in.

This explains why the seeding rates are similar individually or mixed. The biggest competition between the WR and clover is for sun in the spring and you eliminate that by mowing.

Hope this helps,

Jack

Thanks Jack. Ordinarily I would not be planting these in spring, but because turkey season is around the corner and I just bought the property, I'm just trying to frost seed or put something in the ground quickly for turkey season, not a long term solution. I'll revamp everything in May for September bow season (Kentucky). This info is helpful. Thanks so much!!!

Tap says 2-4 lbs per acre on clover. Jack said 10 lbs. Who's right?

Thanks Jack. Ordinarily I would not be planting these in spring, but because turkey season is around the corner and I just bought the property, I'm just trying to frost seed or put something in the ground quickly for turkey season, not a long term solution. I'll revamp everything in May for September bow season (Kentucky). This info is helpful. Thanks so much!!!

I would still recommend buckwheat Turkey love the seed, they will bug in it. You won't really get much for turkey from spring planted perennial clover and WR. Another alternative for short term is an annual clover like Crimson. It is a better bet than perennial. You can mix WR with it if you want, but for a short term, you might try oats.

Best of luck,

Jack

I've seen a bunch of different numbers published. My number of 10 comes from personal experience, not a published rate. If I go lighter it takes the clover longer to fill in and I get more weed issues. So, the best rate may depend on your soils, seed bank and such. Notice that Tap says that he usually seeds heavier than the rates he mentioned.

One more factor comes in to play here and that is seed coating. Most clover seed I use is coated. When you coat such a small seed as clover, you get a lot less seed per pound when you buy it, and there are fewer seeds per pound, so a heavier rate of coated seed may be equivalent of a lighter rate of uncoated seed.

Thanks,

Jack

2-4 lbs is under the best circumstances. Best seedbed prep, best seed-to-soil contact, etc. That's the reason I asked about your planting method. Are you going to drill into high quality soil or broadcast into stubble with no cultipacking? Drilling requires less seed than broadcasting into a prepped seedbed and "no-till" broadcasting requires more seed than broadcasting into a firm seedbed and cultipacking again after seeding.
Seeding too heavily, IMO, is better than seeding too lightly. Especially with high deer numbers putting a strain on the forage. I want the clover, or whatever I plant, to fully cover the soil. Bare soil invites weeds.

I shoot for 6#/acre white clover.

We do 6 to 8 lbs./ acre of Ladino, Alice, or Kopu ll white clover with a nurse crop of oats usually. It's worked well for my hunting camp.

Thanks guys!! I'll give it a try!!! I'll let you know how it goes with some pics. :)

Thanks guys!! I'll give it a try!!! I'll let you know how it goes with some pics. :)
Good luck!

I would do a soil test and see where your at and devise a plan. Many good ones posted above me.
Mossy Oak biologic has a test for 10$. You just have to print their form and send out a half sandwich bag worth of soil.

I would do a soil test and see where your at and devise a plan. Many good ones posted above me.
Mossy Oak biologic has a test for 10$. You just have to print their form and send out a half sandwich bag worth of soil.

Thanks, I already have a soil test done, waiting for results, probably this week.