All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many stands per acre?

4 on 77 acres, 3 ladder and an elevated box blind. 2 ladder stands might get used once a year or not used.

Would like some more box blinds.

15 loc on stands. 2 ladder stands..3 box blinds on 1243 acres..

I have 80 acres of huntable land and have 8 stands on it. 5 for a south wind and 3 for north.
5 ground blinds ( because my daughter uses a wheel chair ) 1 tripod, 1 two man ladder, one shooting box. All of them except the shooting box are good for bow or gun.

I have 80 acres with 10 permanent stands (2 tripods, 3 ladders, 4 lock-ons and 1 ground blind) and 10 more locations that are cleaned up for portable stands or blinds.

I hunted my place (160 acres) 15 sits this year, one week in mid September and another in November. I only hunted one tree more than once and only sat there 2 mornings. This is my first season hunting my property so I'm still trying to figure things out. I do prefer the mobile approach though. I hunted September with sticks and a hang-on and used a Tethrd Mantis saddle/platform and sticks in November. Both times I set up and tore down each hunt.

Reactions: Tap
On 30 acres I have one box blind, two ladders stands, and six hang on stands. So a total of 9 on 30. I need three more hang on sets and another box would be ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 on 40 acres.

My sons and I are mostly bowhunters and like to be in the open. 7 ladder stands and a permanent box blind on 80 acres. Want to add 4 or 5 more ladder stands and 1 or 2 box blinds as time goes by. Obsession or addiction, not sure which.

10 on 58 acres I have stands as close as 35 yrds apart on a hinge cut fence to hunt with multiple winds also two on a 2 acre food plot to hunt with any wind. So far I have hunted there 4 times this year including a hunt with the kids.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Boomer classification here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13 on 160ac. 4 box blinds, one per 40ac for gun season. 9 bow stands, planning on more for next year.

Pope and Young class here with good Booner potential for next year.

I have 10 on 40 but really need 3 or 4 more. Seems this year we had many of the SSW and NNW winds instead of the SW and NW winds we normally have and I really needed the extra stands. The buck I shot this year we had rain and crazy wind in the morning so I didn’t go out until 10:00 AM and at 11:30 the wind changed so I changed stands. It wasn’t until 1:00 that I shot the buck.

Some stands are 30 yards apart but they become useful as the landscape changes. The change might be from a big maple to a pine for more cover.

I live right in the middle of my property and everyone tells me how bad that is but the deer haven’t seemed to care much. I just try to have bomb proof access to stands and it has worked out well.

I had 15 sits this year and 8 of them were from the same stand. It was sit 8 that I connected. It’s my best stand and any Westerly wind hits you in the face and no deer can get behind you. Access is out my front door and behind a hinge cut barrier that covers all movement. I really felt like I over hunted it but saw at least 6 deer on every sit this year as they browses one of my TNM plots while heading out to the big field.

Another Booner

On 30 acres I have one box blind, two ladders stands, and six hang on stands. So a total of 9 on 30. I need three more hang on sets and another box would be ideal.

Booner for sure :)

My sons and I are mostly bowhunters and like to be in the open. 7 ladder stands and a permanent box blind on 80 acres. Want to add 4 or 5 more ladder stands and 1 or 2 box blinds as time goes by. Obsession or addiction, not sure which.

Pope and Young with a droptine.

Actually, most of you have far more of a problem than I. Some significant displays of dedication here. For me, I run 50 stands per 1,000 acres. That gives us about 150 at the main farm give or take a few. I keep a running list of where all the stands and game cameras are at any given time. God help the person that tries to find them with me list. Only I know how to describe these spots. I suspect I should use waypoints for them, but I just don’t for some reason.

The good news is we have enough cameras to darn near catch anyone that tries to trespass. I have not had any for a long time, but we got a vehicle on camera with license plate showing, and a photo of the guys face a few weeks ago. He was a non-resident so our local officer has sent officers in his home state to at least issue him a good trespassing and hunting without permission tickets.

Actually, most of you have far more of a problem than I. Some significant displays of dedication here. For me, I run 50 stands per 1,000 acres. That gives us about 150 at the main farm give or take a few. I keep a running list of where all the stands and game cameras are at any given time. God help the person that tries to find them with me list. Only I know how to describe these spots. I suspect I should use waypoints for them, but I just don’t for some reason.

The good news is we have enough cameras to darn near catch anyone that tries to trespass. I have not had any for a long time, but we got a vehicle on camera with license plate showing, and a photo of the guys face a few weeks ago. He was a non-resident so our local officer has sent officers in his home state to at least issue him a good trespassing and hunting without permission tickets.

I can’t even imagine trying to manage the stands and cameras on a 1,000 acres without some real help. I have 6 cameras out on 200 acres right now and I still have to think about where I’m going to get the cards (granted it’s land I just bought 3 months ago).

5 stands on 36 acres. I’d like a couple more after three years I still feel like we’re still learning the property. I’d like to have three or four on foo plots and three or four in the woods. I need to define travel corridors better.

[QUOTE="WTNUT,

I can’t even imagine trying to manage the stands and cameras on a 1,000 acres without some real help. I have 6 cameras out on 200 acres right now and I still have to think about where I’m going to get the cards (granted it’s land I just bought 3 months ago).[/QUOTE]

I use to have someone that worked pretty much full time at that farm, but dang as much as I like it I feel like it is a huge waste of money. I now have three guys that help a lot. We do some pay and some in exchange for hunting privileges.

I use to drive myself crazy with the cameras and making sure EVERYTHING looked like Disney World, but it took too much fun out of it. Now, I do what I can without getting stressed and tell myself it is better to realize up front that nothing will ever be perfect.

I use to think “I can’t imagine what it would be like to have 2 or 3 thousand acres”. In reality, when it is all recreational property it is nice, but I am not any happier than when I only hunted a couple hundred acres. The biggest benefit is knowing that it is harder and harder to put together large contiguous tracts that are not purely agricultural properties.

I do similar, but I'm not at the same scale as you. You should try onX app, you can mark waypoints and they have labels for treestand, camera, etc.

I do similar, but I'm not at the same scale as you. You should try onX app, you can mark waypoints and they have labels for treestand, camera, etc.
I just subscribed to that. Pretty impressive so far. I was testing the GPS yesterday...the GPS showed, not only the parking space I was in, it showed what PART of that space I was in as I sat in the car.
Onx was giving 30% off on Friday.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk