How do you guys find time to do habitat work????

I try to do marathon weekends when needed in the spring summer and fall
We get down at least one weekend for work thru those times
And most of my 11 acres of plots I have been converting to clover so not as much time needed once established plus
It is a lot easier since my son no longer has scouts and soccer

I try to do marathon weekends when needed in the spring summer and fall
We get down at least one weekend for work thru those times
And most of my 11 acres of plots I have been converting to clover so not as much time needed once established plus
It is a lot easier since my son no longer has scouts and soccer

I think the low maintenance clover is a smart decision... I think they like cheap red clover is as good as anything!

I live where I do my habitat work, I fit it in when I can and I have help from the boys when they are around which isn't much because they are in their early 20's. Like tonight I went back and spread some urea on my e-wheat, I can't imagine having to do this from long distance, congrats to you guys who have to travel and really plan your time while you are there!

I am fortunate that I live on my hunting property, and two, I am a high school teacher and get the entire summer off. There is a drawback though…during the hunting season I am unable to take even a full week off to hunt.

I hoard as much vacation time as I can for November. A few years ago I did this and the saturday morning that kickedoff my 2 weeks of hunting in late november I was done! Shot a doe for the freezer and as she ran she pulled a nice buck into the open with her and I shot him too. Was a great hunt, but I then had essentially 2 weeks of the wife and all the kids beig home from school (thanksgiving break) - I started calling people asking if they could use a deer in the freezer!

I would be calling in sick about the first week of Nov if it was me!

Ssshhh! I got to keep that one on the down low. :D

I don't like to abuse it, but yes, when the exact conditions are right I will take a sick day here and there whenever I come down with a little case of "buck fever."

Ssshhh! I got to keep that one on the down low. :D

I don't like to abuse it, but yes, when the exact conditions are right I will take a sick day here and there whenever I come down with a little case of "buck fever."

No problem Natty.....your secrets are safe here. What happens on the internet....stay's on the internet. ;) o_O

No problem Natty.....your secrets are safe here. What happens on the internet....stay's on the internet. ;) o_O

That's funny foggy! Thanks.

It's tough for me, land is about 1.75 hour from home. My career is going full tilt right now consuming a lot of my time and energy. When I'm not at work I spend all of time with my wife and our 2 children, 2.5 years old and 4 months old. My dad and I try and make it to the farm for a day at least once a month. Seems like when we do make it there we end up busting our @$$es from the minute we get there to the minute we leave. We just try to prioritize our projects. Once my kids get just a little bit older hopefully multi-day trips to do habitat work are a bit more common like they used to be. But right now i'm just too busy.

I'm pretty lucky to basically live on my land so I can work on it any day after work and usually my days off are pretty free

so many of us absentee land owners are in the same boat. you guys that live on your properties have it good, i hope you all realize that. i'll have that situation some day. need to wait until the 6th grader graduates though.

i'm going to take a couple days off to work on plots here in a week or two. i just can't get it done w/o taking time off. it's just frustrating because i can't get anyone to help me this year (they would if they could). fall is coming quick!!!!!

I am staring at another weekend by myself this coming weekend on the farm.
Last weekend I was there, got my list done, and somehow I have another new list sitting here next to me on my desk for this weekends tasks.

I just hope this cool weather sticks around. I don't do well in the heat. LOLLLLL

I already gave up on help with projects. I just make plans for what I can get done myself. In the short run if someone comes available, I can always find more projects.

So far this year, I have not done a thing. I won't make it back to the property before Labor Day. So much for trying the Dipper planted rye this year.

I am about 1.5 hours away from my lands, so mainly only get things done on the weekends. I enjoy most of it, but it seriously cuts down on other play time I used to do like fishing. For example I spent about 6 hours last weekend soaked in sweat while carry a backpack sprayer, trying to reduce the damn sericea lespedeza.

Fortunately I have a great understanding wife. We are heading to the grandkids house this weekend, but will stop along the way at the duck club while I close the main drain gate, check if a plumber fixed the water heater, mow the yard, and take the front tires off the Ranger to have them replaced. That will cut into wife's time holding her 2 month old granddaughter.

I do it full time, but spend most of my time repairing tires and equipment it seems. I'm an outfitter in the land of Lincoln, in Franklin county.

flew in@1am on wed. slept. drove 2 hours, pickedup fall seed from Jmar...wr=$15/bag, Rape=$59/bag. ptt/radish=$4.40/lb. Planted 6 acres of wr that day, seeded my new berm with 2 bags of wr, checked 3 bear bait sites, pulled cards, 1 booboo hit our site, yea! Walked a logger for 2 hours trying to get a contract signed, Prepped the boat and drove to Grand Marais, Mn. last nite. 30 miles from Canada now, full gas, duty free liquor, 5 hour drive, put the boats in, eat, drink, sleep, fish. Love the drive from Duluth up the coast. The folks seem a little conceited as they claim the big lake here is "superior" but no one can explain why it's better then any other lake. The are also obsessed with "Taconite" here. We have taco Tuesdays but every night seems a bit over the top. Peace,out.

Grin.....you've gone over the top with that "taconite" quip. You sure run a fast-track NF.....sometimes I envy that life....but know I could not keep up. ;) Enjoy!!

I am about 1.5 hours away from my lands, so mainly only get things done on the weekends. I enjoy most of it, but it seriously cuts down on other play time I used to do like fishing. For example I spent about 6 hours last weekend soaked in sweat while carry a backpack sprayer, trying to reduce the damn sericea lespedeza.

Fortunately I have a great understanding wife. We are heading to the grandkids house this weekend, but will stop along the way at the duck club while I close the main drain gate, check if a plumber fixed the water heater, mow the yard, and take the front tires off the Ranger to have them replaced. That will cut into wife's time holding her 2 month old granddaughter.

I've been that route, but you know...in ten years you will remember holding that Grandaughter and the rest..the mowing of grass, the front tires, and the water heater will not really matter.

Typing on the IPAD,

Weekend warrior here, allot of dawn to dusk weekends that are both good and bad. I'm making good progress on my campsite so once that's done it will help. I'm also assessing my food plots as at this point I have allot more food then I have deer to eat it. A tractor would help greatly as I would like to reduce my passes.

I told the wife it would take me 5 years to get the place established and next year is the 5th year and it will be mostly setup.

I look forward to Many more casual years and less dawn to dusk weekends.

^ Good post Freeborn. Kinda where I am at / have been. I like to say: I got a lifetime to finish this. It is allot easier over time. Clearing land or breaking new ground is the biggest challenge.