Horses on my trails....

foggy

5 year old buck +
I have made friends with a guy......who's wife likes to ride horses. I have a few miles of trails winding thru my land....all are covered in clover. They have a means to get to my land across my neighbors land. I gave her and her friend permission to ride my trials from December to August.....as long as they stay out of any food plots. Responsible adults.

While I have some clover and rye.....I won't begin planting crops until well into July in the years to come.

I don't want to diminish our deer and hunting opportunity....and I don't see any issue here. But....Am I missing any downside to letting them ride? I figure they may ride six times a year.....none of it during hunting season. Any advice is appreciated.

Once the deer flies come out, they won't ride at all would be my guess. And that is if they make it through the skeeters first.

Inch becomes a mile. Sometimes.

If they follow the rules you've established and don't invite anyone else...you're good to go as long as you're happy with the decision.

I can tell you the experience with "horse people" on my folks' old place. They had some locals ask to ride when they bought it back in the early 80's. Mom and Dad figured it couldn't hurt anything and wanted to maintain good relationships with the locals. Within a few weeks every idiot for 20 miles with a horse was riding on their place. :eek:

Thanks Stu... Yep....THAT Situation....will NOT happen. I have made that abundantly clear. I can imagine the "saddle club" showing up one day.....arrrrgh!

MO....yep the deer flies will pretty much end the riding season in early July. The hot in July and August also dampen most riders. The skeeters around here aren't too bad most years.

Mostly she is looking to ride in mild winters (if any) and the Spring early summer........and I'll be in AZ.....watching baseball and playing pasture pool. ;)

Biggest thing is that they understand the rules and they understand that if they violate them what will happen. Like was stated, what happens is a few turns into a herd and all of the sudden you have the next local horsemans camp on your place. Do you have a means to stop the traffic if/when needed?

Biggest thing is that they understand the rules and they understand that if they violate them what will happen. Like was stated, what happens is a few turns into a herd and all of the sudden you have the next local horsemans camp on your place. Do you have a means to stop the traffic if/when needed?

Yep. I believe the situation is quite controllable. I could cut the access very quickly. These folks are very responsible "senior" citizens.....and not likely to get out of control. Tho....I do share the concerns listed here.....and that is why I posted this. Thought I may be overlooking something.

It's the right thing to do....given the circumstances. Thanks guys.

Horses are a large and unpredictable animal. Have you considered the liability of allowing someone to ride on your property? An insurance agent or attorney should be able to provide better guidance but I would want to know my liability.

Knowing you I am certain you are insuranced up but its best to know what the exposure is.

Yep. It seems hard to just be a good neighbor anymore.

I was in Colorado and we would ride by deer that just looked at us like we were a horse. But....get off that horse, or talk or cough......and they were GONE!

I have a friend who has horses and give trial rides through county property. I've gone on a few with him. Every time out I have seen lots of deer. But walk these same trails and you won't see a one. If they stick to the rules and don't bring everyone and there brother with them I see no problem with it. There may be an upside if your allowed to ride once in a while also, maybe you'll see something you don't when you walk or ride your property.

I let the old guy across the street and his beagle hunt rabbits on my place after the deer season. Came up several times after that and found people duck, squirrel, and deer hunting on my property. They all stated the "owner" ... the old guy across the street ... gave them permission.

No good deed goes unpunished ...

All the horse crap on your trails will only make the clover grow better :D
No, with horse crap you get the weed seed.