Honey Bees

NH - I wasn't aware that your orchards were remote. I thought they were around your home base. Good news 3 were taken. Hopefully a few more will be dropped. Good luck if you're out for bear.

Wow Grey that's awesome. I had so many apples I am glad I didn't have that many bees. That honey looks soooooo good. Could just open the top and pour in my mouth yummy!!!!!!

l know honey is great for health reasons but, I just can't seem to acquire a taste for it. Too sweet for me. I've tried it for allergies and it's worked but, I have to gag it down.
I had the kids sucking it right out of the comb a few weeks ago. They thought it was so cool. I love adding it to barbecue sauce for basting ribs. My dad has eaten a peanut butter and honey sandwich almost everyday for 40+ years. I think you are the first person I have heard say they don't like honey.

Tried to build a fire up wind of it, but ended up just wiping them off by hand. They are fairly gentle critters.

So have those of you that have the bees seen better fruiting of your trees and impacts in your plots and the like?

I have a couple of apple trees and they have not fruited yet and I am wondering if a hive would help. I have a few locals that work with bees that I could contact and see if they would be interested - I'm not interested in the honey, just the potential benefit of better pollination - if it will help.

So have those of you that have the bees seen better fruiting of your trees and impacts in your plots and the like?

I have a couple of apple trees and they have not fruited yet and I am wondering if a hive would help. I have a few locals that work with bees that I could contact and see if they would be interested - I'm not interested in the honey, just the potential benefit of better pollination - if it will help.
I won't have an answer until next spring on the apples but the plots were covered with bees all summer. I guess that could help the clover come in thicker but it is already pretty thick. Here is our sampler. When the owner checked on the hive somehow he didn't close it so they built a comb coming right out the top. This is what they built in one week with a gap in the top.
image.jpg
Couldn't believe the kids ate the honey right from the comb.
image.jpg

Here's some irony for you...the guy who doesn't like honey (me) just got 8 quarts of it for "allowing" the beekeepers to have bees here :eek::D I thanked him again for keeping them here...and of course for the honey. Guess I'll be giving some gifts of honey this year

How can anyone not like honey? Almost like not liking Beer!:confused:

Any of you guys do buckwheat honey?

Sucks I can't eat it anymore.:(

The bee seminar I went to they had bottles of clover honey and buckwheat honey. The buckwheat honey was a little darker.

Yeah its way darker, i've never had any but my FIL swears by it.

Figured I had to at least try the honey that I was given...dang, I just may like honey o_O

Good news! You're not that crazy!

Anyone ever put honey into their apple sauce when canning vs sugar? Part of me wants to say I used up the last of my honey in my last batch of apple sauce. I can't say for sure, It was a couple years ago and I usually get half pie-eyed when canning.

I freeze my applesauce and add nothing to it. Never had it home-canned. Cook the apples with the skins on. I use honey in my home-made granola, along with a little real maple syrup.

We just freeze our apple sauce also. No sugar added.

Exactly what we did this year. Bought a freezer just for applesauce, cider, and cut apples. Should have lots for the winter. No sugar added to the sauce. Not peeled either. Gives it a little color.

20150913_150323-768x1365.jpg
20150913_150317-768x1365.jpg 20150913_150309-768x1365.jpg

Gotta have the skins in there !! :) My sauce gets a pink cast to it. Tastes fresh a year later when thawed out. Your kitchen scene looks familiar, Don't Worry !!

I should mention those were honeygolds in that sauce. Otherwise the sauce has a pink tint.