Home Nursery

buckvelvet

5 year old buck +
I'm curious to see your setups. I'm gonna have to create something this year to house 30-40 seedlings and transplant them next spring.

Do you plant them in pots, bags, beds, other contraptions? If you plant them in just 1 big bed how much damage do you cause to the roots when they are transplanted?

Thanks guys!

What are you planting?

Spruce, pines, cuttings,plugs, apple trees, oaks, shrubs ?

What type of habitat will they be going into next?

FWIW - I grew a seedling from an apple seed starting last winter with the seed sprouting in a zip-lock bag in the frig. I planted it into a plastic pot with potting mix and had it outside from late spring to about the first week of October. It got to be 40" tall, 3/8" dia. at the base and when I planted it at my camp in October it had a nice root system that hadn't quite gotten out to the sides of the pot - about 1/2" away. No root circling. It planted easily. Don't know if you're planting apples or not, but if that's any help.......... there it is !!

Edit: Pot was about 10" deep and 9" in dia.

Haven't yet started, but I've got a few different plans in the works.

For my white oaks (currently being grown) I'm going to move to a DIY smartpot that is 2-3 gallons in size. I'm trying to find a bark based mix to put them.

I have some RO dogwoods and what I believe to be American HB cranberry and speckled alder cuttings rooting right now. Come spring, I'll move these into Rootmaker 4 inch bags (I got these used for cheap, but If I need more I'll be getting the 5 inchers). Depending on their size, I'll either move them to the field in the fall, or I'll "pot-up" to the 8 inch bags and keep them in for another year.

I've got some speckled alder and ninebark growing from seed right now, and I'm planning to do the same as I am doing for the cuttings.

Next year I'm going to be doing DCO's, hazelnuts, and assorted shrubs from seed (elderberries, ninebark, assorted dogwoods, serviceberry, sumacs, russet buffaloberry, viburnums, chokeberry, leadplant... I'm trying a bit of everything). I'll be starting them and then putting them in the RM in ground bags and then planting out in the fall or the following spring. The hazels and DCO's I'll probably leave for 2 years.

As far as where I'm putting them it'll depend. Those that aren't as needy for water, I'll put in our veggie garden at our cottage near our property. It'll get watered once a week by our neighbor. Those that will be really greedy with water will be at my actual residence about 2 hours away. I'll be able to water them MUCH more often and when I'm at my cottage I'll be able to have family members get them.

Also, I'm doing them from seed just as a cool thing to have a bunch of genetic diversity from all over the state. You can do the same thing with cuttings and be fine.

What are you planting?

Spruce, pines, cuttings,plugs, apple trees, oaks, shrubs ?

What type of habitat will they be going into next?

Sorry guys, I surely could have given more information. I'm getting all this summer bud wood from USDA and I'd like to grow rootstock all spring/summer in waiting. 90% of the trees will end up on a property open to everything but mostly for deer consumption.